1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Papa Hemingway in Cuba.

Incompetently directed. There's no other way to put it. Lifetime caliber direction. Shot in Cuba, so there are several "hey, we're in Cuba" visuals.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just got back from Civil War. Good, good stuff. It's definitely more of an Avengers/Marvel Universe movie than Captain America, with a lot of fallout from Age of Ultron (most of the plot centers around that) and some stuff that'll have lasting ramifications on the bigger MCU.
    Some random thoughts without giving too many spoilers:
    • The introduction of Spider-Man and the way they used him was fun. No labored origin story, thank God, but they do set him up as a somewhat established hero.
    • The fight scenes are great, as you'd expect. The big throwdown is the fight at the airport they tease in the trailers, and the lead up to it is some of the best stuff in the movie. It's probably the best (or at least the most fun) fight scene in any of the Avengers movies so far. One cameo mixed in there as well.
    • I don't think I'd want to see a Falcon solo movie, but I absolutely love him as part of the Avengers/Cap ensemble. He's a perfect sidekick, and in this movie and Winter Soldier they've done an awesome job during the action scenes of making him a badass fighter who's more than just "the guy who flies around."
    • There are two credit scenes, so stick around. It amazes me that, after about a dozen movies and seven or eight years, half the audience still left after the mid-credits scene or as soon as the credits started rolling. Surely they know there's at least a good chance of bonus content by now?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who's No. 4?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't know. Not a Buchanan who may have been a lousy President or was wrong on the issues. But just a smug, vindictive, power hungry hurtful bastard.

5. Does Hoover count as a politician? He was never elected.
    But, yeah totally horrific.
    Off the top of my head, McCarthy is only person I can think of who close.

When you said Hoover and politician I thought you wear referring Herbert Hoover.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Government policy maker. FBI Director for life and the real leader of the American gestapo. Worse than Thurmond, Wallace and Helms combined.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Special Correspondents. Netflix movie written and directed by Ricky Gervais. Ordinarily I'd have skipped it because I've never really been an RG fan, but it had Vera Farmiga in it, so I watched. Pretty entertaining.

8. novelist_wannabe

In the sense that he wielded influence, he was absolutely a politician. I don't think being elected, or even running for office, is necessary.

9. Watched Patton Oswalt's Talking and Clapping special on Netflix. ... Skip it.
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I have a soft spot for Guy Ritchie movies. This was OK. Not a bad waste of time, but well short of Lock, Stock ... Snatch, and the Sherlock Holmes movies.

10. novelist_wannabe

I liked the Man from U.N.C.L.E. ok. Wasn't Bourne or Bond, but still decent fun.

Liut likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Aaron Burr? Not only did he whack Alexander Hamilton, he "allegedly" tried to create an independent country within the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted