1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I also thought their should have been a little more resolved by the end of that episode.
    It was a lot of build up with really no result.
    The climax was Elizabeth punching Martha in the solar plexus, which was awesome, but we should have gotten a little more than that.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wish Martha would put up a fight for a change and not resign herself to whatever fate Phillip and the KGB have in store for her. Even if it's a point-blank, "I will turn myself over to the mercy of the FBI before I set foot on that plane to Moscow. If you want to kill me, fine; I'm already dead."

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I had this discussion with some friends at work: If Martha does make it to the FBI, isn't the show over? I just don't think there is any way Phillip could maintain his cover if he had Martha feeding details to the FBI.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on if you think Stan can get from the first name "Philip" and the sketch artist to realizing it's his neighbor.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I just have to think that Martha has a picture of her "husband" stashed somewhere with as sentimental as she has been. If she could produce that, it wouldn't take long for Beeman to look across the street. But I think the name and a non-costumed sketch of him would be enough to raise his suspicions. Remember how the first episode of the series ended? Beeman creeping through Philip's garage. He was already suspicious.

My girlfriend is convinced Martha is going to end up pregnant (probably not revealed before the next episode but later if she survives) after their impromptu session that Gabriel had to listen to. That would complicate things significantly.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't remember if it was on this thread or the comments section on Sepinwall's blog, but someone noted that "kids having beers" scene is setting things up for Paige to get involved with Matthew (Stan's son). It's possible some info could get spilled that way as well.

We're only halfway through the season. Plenty of story left to unspool.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seven months later? Really?

Well, seeing as the next episode is entitled "The Day After" --- which I figured has to do with Able Archer 83 on Nov. 2* --- I was wondering how they were going to get there with the chronological snail's pace of the first 6 episodes.

Anyway, so much for the mellower, more empathetic Elizabeth. The monster is back.

* Of course, the title may not have anything to do with the nuclear scare on that day.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Might as well have had a title card that says "end of act two."

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

David Copperfield's Statue of Liberty trick was on April 8, 1983.

So, seven months later would put it in November 1983.

That could include Able Archer, or also the TV movie "The Day After," which aired on Nov. 20, 1983.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The TV movie was the one I thought of. That was a major cultural event.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I did think it was funny that Martha never quite figured out the game. Telling Clark/Phillip to find someone else was so Martha and sad.

So she's not out of the water yet? Think the FBI/CIA will stop her on plane to the Iron Curtain from Cuba?

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They made sure to mention a couple of times she had a stop in Prague, then in the jump ahead they were pretty coy about what Stan has gotten from Oleg during that seven months. Any chance the FBI has her?

Draft saved Draft deleted