1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN graphic: "The Could Have Beens"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 3, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Most recently, the guy who comes to mind is Joba Chamberlain, what with the "Joba rules" and how dominant he was out of the gate for title-contenders and then just has bounced around due to injuries and some off-the-field issues. Pedro Guerrero was also a stud who had great years and wore out his welcome. How about Rashad Mendenhall, who retired healthy at 26.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No. 1 on the list of could-have-beens:

[​IMG]

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Forgive me if someone already used that gag. I didn't want to flip through eight pages to see.

4. CD Boogie

Also, Chiefs running back Joe Delaney, who was a Pro Bowler in KC and died drowning to save a child's life. He'd only played two seasons and in his rookie year averaged 4.8 ypc.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Projecting Babe Ruth's home run totals if he wasn't injured lead me to think of Ted Williams and his time in the service. He missed three full years when he was hitting about 36 HRs/year. He missed parts of two years when he was hitting about 30 HRs/year. He could have been around 675 when he retired after hitting 29 home runs with a .451 OBP in 1960.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Compiler

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How about Willie Mays? Loses two seasons to the military as well as playing the bulk of his career in home parks not conducive to the long ball, Candlestick and the Polo Grounds.

Ruth also had a substance problem. He enjoyed a drink now and then, and there was Prohibition.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I recall Neyer piece a long time ago (when he was first at ESPN.com) in which he looked at Mays home/road splits and found it wasn't very significant. 335 home and 325 away. I don't know if there is some adjustment for typical h/r splits to be made, but the raw numbers don't bear out the bad home field theory.

9. Reminds me of Hideki Irabu the "fat pussy Toad."

Not to be confused with "The Fat Tub of Goo," Terry Forster.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Goliath would have been the greatest of all time if not for some kid with a rock.

11. CD Boogie

How about Jesus Christ, only lived till 33. No telling what kind of influence he could have had on carpentry, fishing, modern brewing methods and cross-water transportation.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Coulda lived to 90 and never figured out how to hit a curveball.

Batman and CD Boogie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted