1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fort McMurray Burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, May 4, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Of course not. Got to have more breathless speculation and analysis over an election that isn't happening for another 6 months.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Saw one of those rugged northern series on Discovery Channel or TLC or somesuch that showed the drive up to Fort McMurray. They just leave wrecks on the side of the highway, there were so many of them. Can't imagine what it was like during the evacuation.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's insane how the fire has completely engulfed the town. It's too dangerous for some evacuees (I believe those who had to go north) to drive on the main highway, the fire is that close and intense.

Hopefully they can fly those people out.

6. Iron_chet

The big oil sands operators have private aerodromes North of town. They are close to most of the lodges where evacuees are.

Calgary based Westjet Airlines has done 70 rescue flights. Suncor (biggest energy company in Canada) has had their 4 jets going non stop.

Any oil sand charter operator has been going basically non stop.

Convoy left North of town today accompanied by RCMP to evacuate to points South.

We, along with many neighbors have registered to host displaced families.

Still a gong show in the province right now. Many dash cam and other videos of cars driving thru what looks like rain of flames. Some poor bastard posted the video of his house burning down that he watched live on a security camera.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I live in Minneapolis / St. Paul.

At 1:30 AM local I went outside with the dog.

There's a heavy, sweet smell of smoke in the air. There's a haze around the streetlights.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A disaster this size will happen in California in the next 10 years, probably in the L.A. foothills. It's just a matter of time. Amazing it hasn't happened yet.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Looking at AccuWeather it says there's a fire in MN which is contributing to this.

Visibilities between one and three miles right now.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Anyone seen info on what started the fire? Lightning strike? Human?

11. Iron_chet

Consensus by fire officials is that it is human started. There were no lightening strikes in the area.

The province is in a full off road vehicle ban right now.

Killick likes this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, Donald Trump might take a shit. You can't miss that.

Draft saved Draft deleted