1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times buys Tampa Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, May 3, 2016.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Condolences to all affected by this.
    Just a side note on the LVRJ and LV Sun comment. I see that from time to time and the Sun is complete crap, a waste of newsprint. I don't think there is anything in it that wasn't in the RJ already in some form. I will never forget seeing one of the worst examples of journalism this side of prep gamers. Last November, the columnist for the Sun wrote a hype job on the UNLV basketball team heading into the season. He wrote capsules on EVERY game on the schedule and included his predicted final score in all of them ... in November.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bleep the Times. Bleep Poynter. For the Times it was never about competing with the Tribune. They had to pull the petty bullshit like co-opting the word Tampa, just to confuse readers. Now this, which is kind of how the Corleone Family would operate. If the Tribune couldn't compete in the marketplace, fine. Let it die on the vine. It was no skin off the Times' nose. But to buy it, then kill it and not let the staff put out a farewell edition was the most classless move I've seen among newspaper and publishing company owners, and that's saying a lot.

I Should Coco and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. I would hope that a paper in this situation would take a different approach to covering the news — more explanatory, more features, more investigations and more opinions, etc., instead of covering the day-to-day stuff. More like a magazine.

I've not quite figured out what the Sun is trying to be. I get the sense that the Sun hasn't figured it out, either.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Haven't heard anything yet from the political side. Curious to see what readers have to say. The two papers have an obvious chasm between their political slant. Times is liberal and Tribune was decidedly (almost comically at times) conservative. Be interesting to see how the conservative readers react.

5. reformedhack

It'll be interesting to see if the Times does what other papers (Atlanta and Chattanooga are most prominent in my mind) have done after a merger: Separate editorial pages, reflecting left and right viewpoints.

Knowing the Times, though, I doubt they will.

And, yes, I know this isn't a merger.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

“The continued competition between the two newspapers was threatening to both,” said Times chairman and CEO Paul Tash. “There are very few cities that are able to sustain more than one daily newspaper, and the Tampa Bay region is not among them.”

Except that the Tampa Bay region remains anchored by two big, distinct cities separated by a large body of water.

It's a money grab, pure and simple. Tash looks foolish when he patronizes the residents of Tampa.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out, Rip. It is very important to note that the cities ARE vastly different. Sounds cliche, but it is most certainly the case.

Bamadog likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And it's worth remembering that the Times plastered "St. Pete Times Forum" on an arena in Tampa. It was a vanity play and a bully move. And it cost $30 million.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Oakland Tribune.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

11. reformedhack

The most interesting part of the story:

"... Times chairman and CEO Paul Tash said Wednesday the amount borrowed is not the purchase price. That's because the debt includes money for costs such as professional fees associated with the transaction."

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One of the closest comparisons I can make to this situation is the Dallas Morning News' purchase and euthanization of the Dallas Times Herald about 25 years ago (I'd worked at the Times Herald for a few years and still had quite a few friends there at the time of its death). It was the bloodiest newspaper war imaginable for about 15 years and the Morning News absolutely despised the Times Herald (and vice versa). But when d-day arrived, the Morning News waited one day to close on the transaction, enabling Times Herald staffers use their building and presses so they could at least print a farewell edition. The Tampa Bay Times is guilty of corporate cruelty for not following that example.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted