1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fort McMurray Burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, May 4, 2016.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Weird. The Lower Mainland in BC had a drought situation last summer (or maybe the summer before) which is strange for temperate rain forest.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

High there is supposed to be 87 today. Crazy it's that warm that far north this time of year. Hardly any rain in the forecast for the next 10 days, but supposed to cool down to the 50s and 60s by early next week.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I've never met a Newfie I didn't like and growing up in Brampton I had plenty of opportunity.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

You and me both, our neck of the woods is full of them, never met one yet who wouldn't give you the shirt off his back

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

St. Johns is a wonderful place, especially George St.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Lots of Newfs out here and agree on the consensus that they're great people.

Only time they get pissy is if you are a CFA (come from away) and try to take a job in Newfoundland.

I almost took a job in St Johns and dug pretty hard into it.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Know some guys who played in the AHL on the Rock who loved it there.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They would have been treated like Kings.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It's Chet's fault. Those of us who get our news from SJ were left uninformed. Last night my wife asked, "Did something bad happen in Canada today?" I hadn't heard anything. Google provided the answer.
    This is awful. I've peripherally been around wildfire tragedies my whole life. Malibu especially. Big one in south Orange County about 9-10 years ago scared the hell out of my kid as it got about a mile from her high school.
    Good luck to all affected.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Municipality is indicating that 88K were evacuated.

1600 buildings destroyed so far.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted