1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Speaking to this, enjoyed this piece from last year by Andrea Swensson (and thanks to whoever posted links to Andrea's stories on Prince; they're fantastic) when Prince was basically holding an open session with Judith Hill, media, and fans about music distribution.

A midnight conversation with Prince, Judith Hill, and the Minnesota music press

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I guess the Prince of Peace just wanted a piece of Prince.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Blog | Lucinda Williams | The Ghost Of Highway 20

At one point the conversation turned to his vault of recordings and he asked if Best Buy could give him his own 4-foot browser section in every store because he just wanted to release it all – and whenever he wanted to. It was at that point in the discussion that I asked him if he had heard about what Pearl Jam and recently done – releasing an entire tour of double live albums. He said he hadn’t, so I explained that they had just put 86 live albums all at once. He asked how well they did, and I said they did surprisingly well. He turned to me and said “do the math”, it caught me off guard as at first I wasn’t sure what he was asking, but then realized he wanted to know the numbers. I said “they averaged about 10,000 copies across all 86 and the wholesale cost was about $12.00, so $12 times 860,000 was about $10 million dollars”. He said “how would you all like to split $10 million?” There was a brief moment of silence and then we all kind of said “Well yeah, that’s sounds great”.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That is awesome. And the ending about the Atlanta show...

Today I was driving from the MSP airport and took a detour to Paisley Park. Somehow, in 40 years, 27 of them full-time in MN, I can't remember ever taking Highway 5 past the compound. Was there about 7 a.m. and when I walked up to the fence it was just me and an elderly gentleman. And all of those balloons and notes and pictures. Pretty depressing standing there because of the life that was lost inside but also because it was just filled with so much life with Prince throwing his parties, living there, and welcoming artists and folks from the neighborhood over the years.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Double Down likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No will. No estate planning.

9. Machine Head

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

11. Machine Head