1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett to buy Tribune??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 25, 2016.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Matt, if the paper is an Advance property I'd bet page views are pretty much the entire focus. Could be just me, though.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What kind of stories would draw lots of clicks but little engagement time? What kinds of stories engage the reader longer but draw fewer clicks?

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Clickbait draws people initially but has very short engagement time. Longer, more in depth pieces (read: features, projects, etc.) tend to get fewer clicks but better engage readers.

Advance tends to focus on the former, where Gannett seems to be turning toward the latter... though neither has the staff to deliver both simultaneously.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

In my experience, breaking news and enterprise/features draw the most page views. Breaking news has shorter engaged time because the stories are shorter, but because of how many people read them, the total engaged minutes are higher. Features also draw a lot of page views, and people also stay with them for longer periods of time. People still want quality journalism. Web data shows that.

I will say there was a point years ago where we were trying to do whatever we could to drive people to our site. Writing as many stories as we could because we didn't have enough traffic to sell out our ad real estate. Those days are long gone. We still try to constantly keep our website fresh with new stories (though in sports, this time of year isn't the busiest), but we're able to focus more time on stronger stories that will keep people on a page for longer. I feel like there's a slippery slope during the earlier process trying to build a regular web audience where you're trying to get new eyeballs without being too click-baity, and too often sites will fall face first.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Does your site generate revenue solely from DFP, AdSense, etc?

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think this is as ominous as Tampa selling their building to a developer to build condos. The Tribune broadcasting company owned the property and sold leases it to the paper. This is just the broadcasting company generating cash to plow into television stations.

I think that economically a merger of newspapers in the Miami paper area sense. But McClatchy- the owner of Miami- has to much debt to deal. Tribune Company is a mess and I don't think Cox- the owner of Palm Beach- wants to expend capital on newspapers but is reluctant to sell for emotional reasons and rich enough that they do not have to.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not really. Not in the UK. Not in much of Europe.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Accurate assessment of the situation in South Florida.

In the short to medium term, the purchase of the printing plant and land it sits on probably is no big deal and the status is likely to remain quo. The payoff for the buyer probably will happen if/when print editions cease to exist (which could be awhile with that plant because it prints several papers, including the regional New York Times). That plant is very close to South Florida's population center, with easy access to three expressways. Going by the location, location, location equation, it's a valuable parcel of property.

Draft saved Draft deleted