1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times buys Tampa Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, May 3, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. We're resigned to that fact.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The astonishing way in which this was done will pulse through the TBT newsroom.

What were they thinking wiping the contacts off the phone without warning and killing phones mid interview? Why treat it like a siege?

3. Jake Perper

Jake Perper New Member

Worked as a sports correspondent for 3 years at the Trib. Tough that it happened, but life goes on. Gave it my all and looking forward to the next step in my sports career whether it be in the Tampa Bay area or elsewhere

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I feel like I backed the wrong horse with this whole journalism thing.

wicked likes this.
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Tribune sports writers are good people and I hurt for them. Over the last few years I've got to work closely with them. Eat lunch. Talk music. Talk politics. Make fun of Ira Kaufman :)....The media rooms in this area will not be the same without them. I hope they rebound quickly and find new, exciting ventures.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I will withold comment, but ... Oh. I really shouldn't.

7. nickp

nickp Active Member

The newspaper war in Tampa Bay is over

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Here's what Gary Shelton has to say about today's news. Shelton was the Times' lead sports columnist until taking a buyout. He now writes for a local blog.

The loss of the Tampa Tribune is difficult for a former rival - SaintPetersBlog

"... you look across the press room, and you see the guy for the other newspaper doing the same thing. No one will find joy in the death of the Tampa Tribune. Those were good people fighting the good fight for their readership. Yes, I’m a longtime Times guy, but my heart goes out to the other side today. Those were people with children, too. Those were people who cared about their product, too."

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Jake, you're one of the passionate guys who keep this business going. Keep fighting the good fight.

10. Jake Perper

Jake Perper New Member

Thanks so much that means a lot. I was assigned to cover the Robinson-Jesuit region semifinal tonight. Worked it anyway tonight for a website I created last November (Prepsportsscouting.com). Working for free or not, I want to do whatever it takes to get where I need to be in this business.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Pro tip: Get out of the business. But keep pursuing your writing, in one way or another.

YankeeFan, wicked and reformedhack like this.
  12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Dumb question but with just one daily paper in a huge market (the TB Times was largest circulation in Florida already) with a combined subscription base that's much larger, wouldn't there be more advertising dollars because there's no competition and you're getting in front of more people?

Draft saved Draft deleted