1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR 2016 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 12, 2016.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

For the better part of a decade, it was the only track on which drivers could pass, other than on pit road.

2. Completely disagree. It's not a race. It's a wreck(s). Not if, but when. It's a wildcard race every time. That's not fun. It's random.
    I'll Darlington over 'Dega any day of the week. Or just about any short track.

That decade was about 40 years ago.

I am not and never have been a fan of Talladega and its pack racing. Different strokes for different folks.

You guys are probably both Danica fans! ;)

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

See, this is one of the things that makes it fun to me, and should be appealing to some teams.
    On a given NASCAR Sunday, there's maybe a dozen drivers that have a realistic chance to win. At Talladega, literally anyone can win. You don't have to be dominant, you just have to stay in contention and find a way to lead the last lap. For smaller teams, it's a lottery ticket with a spot in the Chase as the prize. Look at yesterday. You had guys like Trevor Bayne, Ryan Blaney and AJ Allmendinger running up front late in the race. That's not happening at Texas, Charlotte or Kansas.
    The road courses are similar, just because of the specialized skill set you need to succeed there.
    I contend that if Danica ever wins a race it'll be at Talladega. It's just so random that it's not hard to imagine her running up front toward the end and somehow making a pass right at the end.

4. expendable

Princess Crumplefenders? Hardly.

That decade (and a half) ended barely 40 days ago. And they've still got a ways to go with the new rules package, if they ever get there.

Growing up, my favorite track was North Wilkesboro and the other short tracks, but as a fan Dale Sr., I had an appreciation for the superspeedways.

I hate the flat tracks, but I am sure it's because Sr. never really ran well on them.

5. expendable

I agree. Daytona gave the Wood Brothers one more moment in the sun. That makes it worth it.

6. There is NO way you can state with any semblance of an argument that 'Dega is only track on which drivers can pass. None.
    If that's you argument, we're done. Because there is No way you can be taken seriously.

Danica wins a race? Shit, I'd take Waltrip - either one - to hit victory lane before Danica.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Batman, the problem is that the flip side of anyone can win at Talladega is that anyone can die there.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I said IF she wins one, it'd probably be at Talladega for the simple fact that she could get lucky.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. expendable

You're kidding, I hope. This has been a storyline in NASCAR for as long as I can remember.
    NASCAR gets passing grades for cutting downforce to increase action

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Talladega's not unique in that respect.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Look up "evil stepmother" in the dictionary and I'm pretty sure you'll find a picture of Teresa Houston. As if it wasn't bad enough Dale Earnhardt Jr. had to leave his dad's team because of her, now the money grubbing bitch is going after Kerry Earnhardt.
    Teresa Earnhardtless?

Draft saved Draft deleted