1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Coos Bay, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Georartsitas, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Georartsitas

Georartsitas New Member

If you love finding sports news that matters to hometown readers, we'd like to hear from you.

We're a 9,000-circulation daily serving Oregon's gorgeous South Coast. We need a sports reporter to cover a number of high school, community college and community sports events. We'll consider both experienced and entry-level applicants, as long as you're dedicated to writing news that connects with readers. From the Prefontaine Memorial Run to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, the South Coast promises a rich environment for sports storytelling.

As part of our small but ambitious staff, you'll hustle to break news on our web and mobile platforms, while pursuing insightful, high-impact enterprise. You'll need an inquisitive mind, sharp writing skills and an appreciation for small-town life. Photo and social media skills would be plus.

As part of Lee Enterprises, The World offers excellent earnings potential and a full benefits package, along with a professional work environment focused on growth opportunities for employees. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. All applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and a background/DMV check prior to commencing employment.

Please apply online at Career Opportunities. For consideration please attach links or examples of previous writing experience.
    Qualifications

Must have a degree in journalism or equivalent combination of experience and education. Previous daily newspaper experience is a plus. Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills and be able and willing to work flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays. Must have excellent organizational skills and demonstrated skill and ability with multi-media platforms. Ability to meet deadlines and work within a fast paced, team-oriented environment.

------------------------

I've been here for over 3 years and loved it. We've won an APSE in each of the last two years, I've gotten a lot of freedom to write a column every week, and, above all else, the editors are truly good people and give you flexibility when it comes to enterprise pieces.

Also, for a small town, you could do worse when it comes to outdoors.

Please PM directly with questions.

2. pkm

pkm New Member

How big of a staff is this/ are you still accepting applications?

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You're not cut out for the job if you can't do some simple research, such as looking at the newspaper's website, or follow directions. Plus, it's been less than a week since the original post. If the job is still listed on the HR website, then it's a good bet applications are being accepted.

4. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

That's not fair. Many newspaper websites don't have easily accessible contact pages (or haven't updated their contact pages in a long time). I know this simply from being a sports editor and looking for email addresses of other sports editors when we need help with coverage, etc. Some newspapers have shitty websites.

It's not necessarily a dumb question for a potential applicant to ask how big a staff works at the newspaper, so I don't know why you'd jump down the guy's throat.

Potter likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

Maybe you should have taken a look at the newspaper website.

Newsroom

6. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

Well, obviously. I did indeed look it it but it's not necessarily a given that said newspaper's contact page is up-to-date or has correct information. I've seen many that aren't. How many of those people, for example, are part-timers or stringers? How many of those "reporters" are news reporters only? Or can they also do sports? Does the photographers shoot sports or not?

It's a legitimate question.

7. JohnHammond

"Please PM directly with questions."

8. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

Again: How does it hurt to ask a question like that in this thread? Last I checked that was the very reason why this forum even exists. It seems like you're just being a crotchety old jerk for the sake of being a crotchety old jerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted