1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Las Vegas Review-Journal Staff Balks At Limits On Covering New Owner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Neutral Corner, Jan 5, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

it's not about covering the owner. It's the slippery slope it creates as already mentioned. And it seems that's already started in LCD

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Have you not read most high school gamers and features?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think he's more referring to something like what has been discussed on the SID thread, where the other team's perfect game is in the secon-to-last graf.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until Derek Carr throws some picks for the Las Vegas Raiders.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thinking more along the lines of, if they're gonna dictate coverage here, what's stopping them from caving when "one of those" parents calls.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Lot of places already do that if they have a weak SE

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Luckily have never worked for one, or allowed it when I've been SE. Not gonna be as brutal as I would covering the pros, but Podunk High losses can be covered without waving pompons.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think I misinterpreted but I've worked for an SE who dictated coverage based on angry phone calls at times, and have toned down/not named kids who have made errors/missed big kicks/etc. Never made sense to me ... The people who give a shit probably were there to see it. Never had an SE tell us to actually slant a story.

9. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

A former SE sent a reporter overseas to cover some event that didn't even have anything to do with us based on an angry caller. And that's probably not even the biggest waste of money under said SE's regime.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh my!

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No, I didn't explain myself correctly. This is not ethical, but what I'm saying is it's unavoidable. The fact the guy who OWNS the newspaper says there are to be no stories about him or his family, well, that's it. You abide by it or quit. I mean you can't violate the edict of the guy who owns the newspaper. That would be like the late Mr. Steinbrenner saying no facial hair and you grow facial hair. You are gone. I'm just saying everybody at the Las Vegas newspaper that disagrees with this has to simply quit. You can't violate the edict of the guy who owns the thing, ethics be darned.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be smarter to:

Line up a job first, then quit?

Violate the edit and get fired and possibly draw unemployment?

Draft saved Draft deleted