1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Do you believe interning Japanese Americans was also the right thing to do?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Lyin' Ted strikes again:
    Today on Face the Nation: CRUZ: I can tell you, the last contested convention we had, 1976, Ronald Reagan had a million more votes than Gerald Ford.

Uh, false. Final primary vote count:
    Ford: 5,529,899 (53.3%)
    Reagan: 4,760,222 (45.9%)
    By my count, that's 769,677 more for Ford than for Reagan.
    Republican Party presidential primaries, 1976 | Wikiwand

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's a really terrible analogy, MC. The interning of Japanese citizens who had remained in the U.S. and had not joined or conspired with the Imperial Japanese forces bears no comparison to killing people who had joined with Al Qaeda in Yemen and Pakistan. And, fyi, only one of those US citizens, Anwar Al-Awlaki, was an actual target and specifically ordered killed.

I did not and will not lose a moment's sleep over any of them.

5. cranberry

What are Bernie's plans to freeze globalization? Is he going to convince everyone to buy American-made goods at exponentially higher prices? Is he going to impose tariffs and go isolationist like Trump? Do we really need doctorquant to explain the folly of his misplaced populism to him?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

So you're a big fan of Gitmo?

7. YankeeFan

Hillary would have explained all of this to him, but then she decided to pander to the left and oppose TPP -- a deal she had personally worked on.

I'd even settle for a full throated defense of NAFTA from Hillary.

8. cranberry

Is this bad analogy night?

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

We get it. You support things by the letter. Nothing wrong with being an average American voter.

10. YankeeFan

Not until Baron shows up, it's not.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Actually, they interred West Coasters and Hawaiians to preclude the possibility they would become enemy combatants or spies, based on little else but ethnic hysteria.

Even still, whether we like it or not, American citizenry comes with certain rights, ostensibly including not getting killed by your government without due process. If they're working with al-Qaida and killing people, find them and surrender them to get convicted.

12. cranberry

As I understand it we found it too difficult to serve an arrest warrant on Anwar Al-Awlaki at terrorist camp in Yemen, luckily there was sufficient legal justification to target and kill him since we are at war with al-Qaeda and, according to the CIA and Pentagon, Awlaki had “operational and leadership roles” with al-Qaeda and was actively "plotting attacks intended to kill Americans.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.