1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hateful crap female sports writers put up with

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Apr 26, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This thread is such a throwback to the SJ of like 15 years ago. Legit discussion mixed with a bit of trolling, a good amount of humor, then a few sad and sorry JournoBros roll in and let everyone know the ladies should stop whinging cause they have it just as bad, then more legit discussion, more jokes, etc.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Watched the "Outside the Lines" episode from Wednesday(?), when they had Spain and DiCaro, as well as Jemele Hill; the director and producer of the piece (who played a prominent role in it); as well as an online columnist who covers sports/culture issues. It was a really good discussion, but it was a little odd to me that the director and producer happened to be two of the guys who had the most trouble reading the tweets. They say they had no idea what the tweets said, but it made me go hmmmm and wonder if there might some acting involved. I have no doubt those tweets were legit, but I just wonder if these two guys might have played up their emotion to make for a better video.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Taking this in a slightly different direction but still in the same ballpark...

Yesterday, the Chiefs drafted Tyreek Hill, who pleaded guilty last year to domestic assault.

Here's the coach/GM/player explanation

A quote from coach Andy Reid (A practicing Mormon, who, you might recall, had a son die from a drug OD and also took a chance on Michael Vick)

“The unique part of this — and I think the part that we have to understand is — very seldom does the other side try to right the wrong,” Reid said, his voice starting to crack. “We see this kid trying to do that — he’s trying to make the effort to right the wrong — and I think that can be a great example to so many people that have fallen into this situation.”

And here's a column from Sam Mellinger trying to make sense of the decision.

A quote from the column:

It is never OK for a man to hit a defenseless woman. Not legally, not morally. That is the act of a coward, not a man, and there are far too many women who lose their basic human rights or worse at the hands of males who can’t control themselves.

The most heartbreaking part of domestic violence is how hard it is to convict, and how males often get off relatively easily while the women are changed forever. Hill pleaded guilty as part of a plea agreement, is taking anger management courses, and if he meets the terms of a probation through 2018, the incident will be wiped from his record.

Look, nobody should be judged entirely on their worst moment. People deserve second chances, and Hill has apparently been forthcoming about his mistakes, and stayed out of trouble after landing at Division II West Alabama.

But there have to be certain lines that can’t be crossed, certain sins that can’t be forgiven, and certain acts of violence on defenseless women that can’t be forgotten.

It's interesting stuff. I do have one thought on Mellinger's column: He never quite says he doesn't think Hill should be allowed to play football. But based on the bolded part above, is he trying to make that argument without making. The phrase "certain sins that can't be forgiven" is anathema to any religion, so I can only presume - Mellinger doesn't actually say - that he means it can't be forgiven in terms of playing professional football. Not sure, exactly.

Should someone who commits domestic violence - and pleads guilty to it - be banished from the sport? Should they be banished from employment with other women?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's another - a latter from Deandre Levy about sexual assualt in our culture. It's in The Players Tribune. I'm leery of anything that appears there, generally because I think the editors massage the message but, at any rate, this letter is attributed to Levy. I have a hard time believing he wrote this in the manner presented, mostly because I have a hard time believing athletes write anything there. But...

Here's a excerpt:

Consent only occurs when a woman clearly says yes.

Consent is not being naked, it’s not kissing, and it’s not touching or flirting. It’s a clear, freely given yes, which is not the same as the absence of a no.

And another

The focus always seems to be on teaching young women how not to get raped and on what steps they can take to “stay safe.” But why are we not also focused on educating young men about the definition of consent and what constitutes rape? We’re essentially dealing with the problem by telling women to be more careful.

And that’s bullshit.

And another. The italics and bolds belong to Levy/The Players Tribune:

Using the example I mentioned earlier, what if a woman says yes to letting a handful of strangers engage sexually with her while she’s under the influence of alcohol?

That’s called a gang rape.

What if everyone else was also drunk?

Still a gang rape.

What if everyone was sober, but she said yes — a response that was likely prompted by her fear of the many men in the room?

Yes, still rape.

What if she initially said no, but after persistent pushing she eventually says yes?

This is sexual coercion and still qualifies as rape.

Now let’s discuss some of the common ignorant statements and questions that some men use to justify this behavior:

Why would she get so drunk?

Is she not allowed to partake in the same activities that men may deem to be fun? A night of drinking with her friends doesn’t give a man clearance to make assumptions about what a woman wants.

Thoughts?

6. Skeptical

Skeptical Member

No, I am not bitter. Troll on.

7. Skeptical

Skeptical Member

Nice narrow-minded stereotype. I know some very knowledgeable sports fans

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes, that was molded, massaged, manicured into the most perfectest message.

And there will always be a segment of male society that beats and rapes women.

And that's a little disturbing.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It was jarring to see. Though they claimed to have no prior knowledge of the tweets' content.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can believe that.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can't say I blame you since I don't believe it for a second. Too bad.

12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

How many hateful tweets does Skip Bayless get in a day? Got to be close to a million

Draft saved Draft deleted