1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which is as it should be. They have to establish his circumstances, such as the age of the character and supporting cast, but not the origin.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Amen.

I'm sure Stark or Parker will make some quip about being bitten by a radioactive spider and leave it at that. Even that would be unnecessary.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. outofplace

Trailer for the animated Batman: The Killing Joke. Any time you have Conroy and Hamill providing the voices for Batman and The Joker, I'm in, but this one looks particularly good.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Instead of the ridiculously overrated "Dark Knight Returns" and the industry-shattering fiasco "The Death of Superman (1992)," WB//DC should have based Batman v. Superman on a mashup of the storylines of "The Killing Joke," the greatest Joker tale ever, and the original "imaginary story" "Death of Superman (1962)," which showed Lex Luthor at his most devious, ruthless, sadistic and chilling.
    They should have made it as much an all-star match of Luthor, who has NEVER been done even adequately on screen, and the Joker, as the two heroes.

[​IMG]

Doing that kind of storyline would have washed away the lingering smarmy cheeseball stench of the Hackman-Spacey Luthors and portrayed him as a truly disturbing and fearsome nemesis. Instead with Eisenberg's clown show depiction Snyder turned him into a giggling buffoon, a third rate Joker/Riddler wannabe.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  5. outofplace

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm into it. I don't have much interest in the Luke Cage series, and am kinda luke warm on another season of Jessica Jones, but I was very into this version of the Punisher. I was more interested in him than Daredevil by the end of season 2.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't yet gotten that far in Daredevil, but I like the idea of a Punisher series on Netflix. Not sure I'll get the wife to watch it, though. She's already struggling a bit with the endlessly dark and rather violent take on Daredevil. She's more of a S.H.I.E.L.D. fan.

8. outofplace

Punisher could easily be even darker and more violent. As much as I like Berenthal's version of the character, I have my doubts about a Punisher series. The character has always fared better in smaller doses.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The best summation of the Punisher I've ever read was in the "Marvel Year in Review '92," which was an incredible piece of self-satire. If you were a comic book fan in the early 1990s and can find a cheap copy online or in a back issue bin, I highly recommend it. The 1993 Year in Review was in the same style and was hilarious as well.
    They had an actual year in review section where they gave a running account of the major events in the Marvel Universe that year, usually just a quick and snarky paragraph to sum up a storyline. Every few paragraphs, they dropped in, "The Punisher killed some people" and moved on to the next thing.

10. outofplace

That's the problem with Punisher. That is what he exists to do, kill bad guys. He has had some supporting cast members here and there, but nothing special. Once you get past the origin story, he just isn't easy to write.

"Welcome back, Frank" wasn't bad, but much of it was way over-the-top. They adapted parts of that story for the Punisher movie with Thomas Jane and it just didn't work. He works well as a foil for more traditional superheroes, as he was in Dredevil. I thought his part in the comic book version of Civil War was one of the highlights of the event, but that was the interaction with Captain America.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Definitley agree. With Punisher, less is more.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anybody else see Civil War yet? Dying to talk about it some.

Draft saved Draft deleted