1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 28, 2016.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

LOL Jets

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Regrettable that the draft is no longer in New York.

amraeder likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Can ya dig it?

Damn right.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Are the Buccaneers the first team ever to trade up to draft a kicker?

(That said, Aguayo is pretty damn good).

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

In case you missed it, Braxton Miller to the Texans as a WR and Conor Cook remains on the board.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cardale Jones HOF?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you're trading up in the second round to draft a kicker, that son of a bitch better never -- and I mean NEVER -- miss inside of 50 yards. And he'd better hit about 90 percent from 50-60 and have 70-yard range, too.
    Drafting a kicker that high is one thing. If you like the guy and think he'll be your kicker for the next 15 years, fine. Overpay and make sure you get him. But trading up? Was anyone else looking at him that high that they couldn't wait 15 more picks to get him?

poindexter likes this.
  8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

If Hackenberg had played in Tony Franklin System he would have been the first pick in draft

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Connor Cook must really be a douche.

Remember when Cardale Jones was the surefire No. 1 pick? That was a cool 5 minutes. Who takes him today?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Does that make him a system QB?

I think the Jets made a good pick. It may be a steal... Hackenberg had a HORRIBLE O-line in front him. The Jets don't have a starting QB. Not sure Hackenberg is the answer this year, but down the road. He's a better option that Jets current staff and the free agent offerings.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I worked in junior hockey for 10+ years, the proximity of our rink to the city of Toronto - and the airport - made it an attractive destination for scouts and we got loads of them, usually the regional guys who worked our league would be there every game but depending on the game we might get a scout along with his team's player personnel guy and/or GM. Never saw any of the TV talking heads who would sound so authoritative on draft day or any of the draftniks charging for their opinions online.

Real easy to spout off about who teams should take when you don't have to face the consequences of being wrong.

As my boss used to say about our scouts - and this applies to all sports - anyboyd can spot a first rounder, go find me a guy in the late rounds or a guy off the street who can play on our team. That's how scouts make their money.

HanSenSE, Fly and heyabbott like this.
  12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The next three teams to pick were New England (60/61), Carolina and Denver. Why bother trading ahead of those four? None of them are taking kicker, the Chiefs certainly weren't, and if any of them were going to trade you knew it was NE at 61. If you dodge that bullet, you have 10 picks in front of you - and all those teams either have a good NFL kicker or are so thin across the board they need help somewhere that's not kicker.
    I have no problem with the pick, because Aguayo is damn good; I do have a problem with trading up to make the pick.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted