1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You almost think there is a contest among some secret society of NFL scouts for which "assessment" is the dumbest they can get in print - kind of like writers try to wedge a specific phrase into a story.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I look forward to the eventual 30 for 30 about Tunsil's draft day.

3. DanOregon

The crazy thing is that teams KNEW about the photo ahead of time (and obviously the NCAA stuff) but that it became public was what scared them off.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Good thing the Dolphins cleared their Mentally Unbalanced Drama On Social Media cap space by cutting Miko Grimes.

BDC99 likes this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That's a fucking surprise.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dad's going to have to have a talk with whichever mother in whichever city we're dealing with here.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

An indication that the first round of the draft is as much PR as it is getting the best player to help your team. That's what sinks Jerry Jones year after year.

9. DanOregon

It's one of those things that kind of bugs me about pre-draft stuff. I don't know if I've ever seen a GM ripped in print - seems every move they make is bold or crafty. The funniest explanation I heard was from Daniel Jeremiah saying that the owners usually hang out in the draft room and he was pretty sure nobody wanted to tell the guy who signs the checks, well yeah THIS is the guy we want to be the face of our draft.

It explains why so many GQ models get drafted in the first round as QBs.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Apple was the guy the Falcons scout asked whether he liked men.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So, I guess the Twitter-sphere apparently pushed the story that Tunsil was a no-show to his news conference, and it was picked up by AP. Only problem seems to be, he did attend the news conference ... it just started about 30 minutes late so he could get treatment for an allergic reaction. AP has reworked its main story, but its "The Latest" rundown from the draft still says he didn't show up. And Eric Winston shredded the NFL for what went down last night, but I'm not sure what the league could do.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No, there were two separate press sitdowns. The first one he was AWOL and Dolphins brass gave the allergic reaction excuse. Then about an hour later he came down unexpectedly (looking none the worse for wear) and did nothing but repeat his non-answer about how he was just there to help the team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.