1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'I reported on Washington’s biggest party for journalists. Now I’m an outcast.'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 29, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Pat Gavin isn't exactly what I'd call a "reporter," but he made a documentary on the Nerd Prom last year that's evidently not too flattering for journalists. He know claims he's being ostracized:

I reported on Washington’s biggest party for journalists. Now I’m an outcast.

Journalists ought to stand up for rigorous reporting, even if it is at their expense. We always hear that reporters have the thinnest skin of all, but this character trait ought to be filed under “room for improvement” instead of “standard operating procedure.” After all, journalism’s most important trait is its commitment to exposing the truth in the full. If we can’t commit ourselves to doing that, what’s left about the profession to celebrate?

I'm not sure he's shedding any new light on anything by exposing the Correspondents' Dinner as a sham. But, has anyone seen the documentary? It sounds pretty interesting.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Washington Post has a story that says the show has gotten so big that it almost doesn't make any money (at $300 a plate no less). The WHCA also would like to do something about having more actual WH reporters getting to go instead of their news orgs bringing along advertisers and celebrities.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

IIRC, Jeff Greenfield refused to attend.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We are not the storytellers.
    We are the victims of a vicious media attack.

Doc Holliday and HanSenSE like this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Outcast remains outcast.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As a follow up, he's going to write about the media round at Augusta.

Then he'll really know what it's like to be ostracized.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

So if someone had reported on the event when Pat Gavin was taking selfies with celebrities, would he have appreciated it too much? I didn't think so.
    Why even write this story? It's not going to un-ostracize him. Readers aren't going to care. So why even bother? It just makes him look bad.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He's never made any bones about what he does. He's more gossip columnist than serious journalist, and has been as long as I can remember.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Im sorry but there's compelling evidence - as in years and years of popular rants against the media - that suggests, yes readers very much care about media pissing matchs. It's clickbait crack.

We have to stop presuming readers do not care about media feuds. They do. They really do.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Media feuds, sports feuds, sports media feuds, political feuds -- readers just love conflict, it's human nature.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I like Family Feud.

sgreenwell and PaperClip529 like this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I doubt very highly the average reader cares about Jason Whitlock's latest journalist feud, or Chris Jones's latest, or Scoop Jackson's latest, so on. Take a walk around your pub next time and ask a few patrons if they've ever fucking heard of some of the feuders that get fussed over, on this site.

Draft saved Draft deleted