1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 28, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I threw his column out there, but I'm sure others will snoop around.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LOL Chris Berman.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wetzel's assertion that nothing will come of this for Ole Miss if Tunsil refuses to talk to the NCAA is flat-out wrong. The assistant coach whose name is also on those texts, the one talking about pre-arranged monthly payments, DOES have to talk to the NCAA.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be great if the Tunsil mess leads to a national conversation about how ridiculous it is that a kid who is on the verge of earning millions for himself, a kid who has already joined his teammates in helping their coach earn millions for himself, and their school earn millions for itself...has to beg for a few hundred dollars to cover rent?

5. Steak Snabler

In this particular situation, it sounds like arrangements were made and he spent the money on something else. My guess is he spent it on whatever was in that gas mask.

And I'm pretty sure rent is covered in players' scholarships.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If they're not gonna pay these kids, they should at least provide a place for them to live.

7. Steak Snabler

If it wasn't covered when Tunsil signed with Ole Miss, it is now. That's what the whole "cost of attendance" debate has been about.

Another level to Tunsil's case: He's from Lake City, Florida, but his mother and stepfather moved to Oxford after he signed with Ole Miss. Whether that was arranged by the school or they just figured "an apartment in Florida is no different than an apartment in Mississippi," I can't say.

Also, let's not act like Tunsil isn't reaping any benefits from his time at Ole Miss. Would he have gotten that Miami Dolphins signing bonus coming out of high school? Doesn't seem likely.

8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I guess that Laremy Tunsil was is not offended by the Confederate flag
    Weird is right. How about Tunsil doing bongs with a Confederate flag as
    a back-drop.
    [​IMG]

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought he was asking for money so his mother could pay her electric bill?

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

He must have used up his Pell grant.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds like everything people said about basketball players until Kevin Garnett busted through that myth.

If NFL teams were allowed to draft and train 18-year-olds, hell yes there would be money for the Lamery Tunsils of the world. And the Marcus Lattimores, etc.

Sorry, but nobody gives a fuck if Tunsil got more than the cabal decided he "should" have. I assume every team is doing this, especially in the SEC, and I just don't care.

justgladtobehere and poindexter like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It shouldn't matter. He should be able to earn his market value, just like his coaches and his fellow, not-athletic students.

Draft saved Draft deleted