1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett to buy Tribune??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

How do you think the people in Los Angeles and Chicago will like getting the canned USA Today pages in their papers?

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Actually, I think Gannett, like most other big corporations, eats its olds. Young usually means cheap, right?

CAsportshack likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The last I checked in with LAT acquaintances -- admittedly a couple years ago -- through all the cutbacks and turmoil, salaries hadn't been scaled back.

I don't know if that's the case anymore, but I'm certain it won't be the case If Gannett takes over.

Tweener likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At least I can look it up on the Transamerica Retirement Solutions website every day. It still shows the same $760/month it has shown since pensions were frozen in lieu of ESOPs and whatnot a quarter-century ago.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The market cap is $560 mil. I imagine the offer will look better as the cap continues to decline. It's down 50 percent from five years ago, a third from a year ago.

7. CAsportshack

CAsportshack Member

The sports page in one Gannett publication is a complete and utter joke. The screw-ups and willful ignoring of major events that have happened in its area in the last year have been mind-numbing. People are dumping their subscriptions in droves, it's gotten so bad.
    Never mind the humans they're affecting. If it doesn't draw numbers, they don't bother.
    -A year ago, the NCAA Div. I women's golf West Regional was held in the area. The paper wrote NOTHING about it, although 18 major schools were there, from the likes of Stanford, USC, UNLV, Wisconsin, etc.
    -Every July, they used to cover every championship game at the Little League All-Star tournament. especially the ones where trips to the West Regional were involved. Last summer, they covered ONE, and it was done by a stringer.
    -They ignore girls high school sports like you can't believe. Biggest case in point: Back in December, one of the teams was playing an opponent that was on a 64-game winning streak. Not only they win, but they beat them pretty badly.
    The sad part: The writer who showed up covered the boys game that was played just before it. All he had to do was stay an extra couple of hours, but he didn't.
    They dispatched a writer to the state cross-country and boys golf tournaments last fall. He completely ignored the following:
    -One of the area schools dethroned the defending state cross country champ, who had won the last FOUR titles.
    -For the first time in years, one of the area schools had a team that qualified to play at the boys golf tournament. Although it didn't make the cut for the second day, the team finished two shots better than one school from the area they talked about AND had two individuals who played on the second day. The other school only had one.
    The writer was at these events on-site. He wrote NOTHING about those schools.
    -There have been so many mistakes made in the print product, you could write a book. They range from missing scores from games that finish well before deadline to no box scores from any high school or college games (none in print or online).
    If Gannett's bid to buy Tribune goes through, prepare for the worst. Those products will probably head down a similar path of deterioration in quality.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What is Gannett's motivation? Does anybody know? I maintain the company wants to kill the print product completely and get the credit for doing so. I guess huge profits could come from the sale of land/business properties once they do kill the print product completely. Then sell the publication to somebody who locates it in a strip mall for 600 dollars rent a month?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think print has been a "get bigger or get out" business for the last 15 years.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

More leverage with national advertisers.

Hardly. Tribune Media owns the real estate (Tribune Tower, etc.). Gannett is seeking to acquire Tribune Publishing, a different company without any real estate assets.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Interesting. I assume this means the Chicago Tribune as well? Can you imagine if the Tribune has any good veteran reporters/section editors left putting up with Gannett's bullshit? To any Gannett grads out there ... has the company ever admitted that many of their edicts over the years were total failures? Like quoting one minority in every story even if it has to be a fan or referee? Quoting fans in general? How all the websites must look the same? Name one good thing about Gannett. My guess would be the only good thing about Gannett is if you are one of those empty faced/no personality losers that tends to drift into middle management, the one that likes to hold meetings and act important and one who enjoys laying people off and the power that brings, it would be the best place in the world to work.

CAsportshack likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gannett has sold off much of its real estate. In fact, most papers have. Anything that can fetch a buck was sold off long ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted