1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Black Crowes: HOF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 17, 2016.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend John Moreland and Parker Millsap.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Meant that last comment to be in reply to this. Ooops.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I readily admit most of the artists on my list don't belong in the Hall of Fame. Some don't even have a strong argument to be in ahead of the Black Crowes. But you can make an argument that all of them deserve at least as much consideration as the Crowes, some for their work and some for their influence. If you can name 20 bands from the same era as a band that deserve equal or greater consideration, then the band doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

And I never should have listed Stone Temple Pilots. Should've been Alice In Chains in their place.

Arguing that the Black Crowes shouldn't be considered part of that era because their music was kinda different than a lot of the other top bands is a weak argument unless they were revolutionary and sparked a change in rock (like the Beatles or Elvis). And as eclectic as music was in the '90s (grunge wasn't the only thing popular -- remember REM and U2 and hell Prodigy for that matter), it's even weaker. There were a lot of different sounds getting play on "rock" stations in that decade.

And lest we dis Lenny Kravitz too much, dude has four Grammys, two double-platinum albums and one triple platinum album, and he has production credits with lots of great artists (Aerosmith, Madonna, Michael Jackson and Mick Jagger).

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Listening for the first time. Digging it. I hear hints of Gov't Mule, My Morning Jacket, classic country and "Soft Parade" era Doors.

JRoyal likes this.
  5. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I'd put Lenny Kravitz's stuff up against The Black Crowes any day of the week. I love his diverse musical palette. My four favorite tunes from him are so wildly different sounding from each other: "Are You Going To Go My Way" "It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over" "Let Love Rule" and "Believe"

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You really stretched deep into his catalog there.

Draft saved Draft deleted