1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Right now Purple Rain is on VH1, with FUSE, MTV and some channel I have called Centric showing all sorts of Prince videos and live performances.

And the fact I read this thread and no one made the "it's official: there are no black people left in Minnesota" joke confirms this place lost its fastball years ago.

X-Hack and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I gave up on MTV after it showed a total of five music videos in 30 minutes.

7. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Actually, I think Michael played more instruments than most people would be led to believe. I have a Thriller Special Edition CD where Quincy Jones produces a demo that was all Michael on "Billie Jean." MJ came up with the iconic bass riff that was later recorded by a session bassist. MJ may have also played drums. I know MJ played drums on Beat It before he and Quincy called up Eddie Van Halen to lay down the guitar solo. I haven't listened to that SE CD in a while though.

MJ was by no means Prince in proficiency, but he wrote some of the biggest hits the world has ever known. I put him in that respect with guys like Sinatra and Elvis, who rarely wrote their own songs. Sometimes the complete package means more than the individual parts.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You also don't have to write a song with an instrument other than the voice.
    A melody created with your voice would get you a songwriting credit, too.

You can even throw in a key line or two and get named in the credit. It's often a collaborative process.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the picture of the Empire State Building is photoshopped. Folks in NYC are saying it's not purple.

Not sure about the others.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted