1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bomani Jones wearing "Caucasians/Indians" T-shirt on Mike and Mike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Is the name Indians necessarily racist if they never had an offensive logo? I mean, Chief Wahoo makes it pretty clear it hasn't always been presented with respect and it might be best just to scrap it all. But what if there had never been an offensive logo? Is it possible to have a team named after an ethnic group and not be racist?

2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, Welcome.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, no. It has nothing to do with knowing his place, and everything to do with knowing Bomani's race-baiting schtick. Like I said, I admire the gesture, but it's only in retrospect, bc his persona has become tired and predictable and I see everything he does through that prism. If it'd been Trotter or the late Burwell, I would have immediately appreciated the merits of the gesture, but with Bomani it gets clouded.

4. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I agree with what Boogie said in regards to the shirt would be funnier if it said crackers or something. Also, aren't white people depicted in ridiculous ways in logos all the time? The old Buccaneer unis with the knife in his mouth, the stupid Notre Dame leprechaun with his fists up, the Pirate with his gritted teeth and baseball bats behind him, idk. I don't want to say some are being oversensitive but that is the sense I get. Is Redskins offensive? Yes. The nickname Indians? I don't think so. I think the logos and how they appear would be more offensive if the Indian was depicted in a racist way.

5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Chief Wahoo is offensive because it depicts a group that has been discriminated by the majority for hundreds of years.

Actually I thought the caucasian jacket was poor execution of a good idea, primarily because caucasians are not the "other" in America.

IMHO a much better satire would be something that incorporated the "Redskins" slur with the Chief Wahoo imagery.

Like maybe the San Francisco Slant Eyes.
    [​IMG]

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I take it you're OK with Sambo imagery, then? The only difference between Sambo and Wahoo is skin color.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Nothing made me uncomfortable. Bomani's just kind of an attention whoring a-hole and race baiter.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He doesn't talk about race in the nice way that I as a white guy think he should!!!!!!

9. It's kind of telling that you can only name two black writers. And one of them is dead.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Whom would you name?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"He's a race baiter" always strikes me as a handy euphemism for "This uppity guy is making me uncomfortable."

LongTimeListener likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, 50 percent of the good black writers died with Burwell...

Moron.

Draft saved Draft deleted