1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing for mags like The New Yorker, GQ, Esquire, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

11-11:50 a.m.
    Lies My Editors Told Me
    With wit and wisdom, Esquire’s Chris Jones, who has authored some of the iconic magazine’s
    most memorable stories, unveils lessons learned from his legendary editors.

That looks like a fun session.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

A great time was had by all. Jones should do stand-up for a living.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If you're a lazy, agenda-driven, feckless narcissistic fabulist who doesn't know or care about doing actual, you know, REPORTING, Rolling Stone wants YOU! Fact-checking optional, as always.

4. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Saw this thread and read the first entry:

QUOTE="WaylonJennings, post: 2123241"]Just found out that Ryan Lizza, The New Yorker's chief political guy right now, is only 33 years old.

...then realized it was from 2008. If it makes anyone feel any better, Ryan Lizza is now 40 years old.

2muchcoffeeman and Xsportschick like this.
  5. Mister413

Mister413 New Member

Thank you guys, especially Jones & In Exile. I know this is from a while ago, but it's fantastic. Seriously appreciated.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I know this thread hasn't been updated in seven years but I was wondering if we had any success stories come from it as a result. I know I took some of the advice and was able to grab the attention of some editors at SI (The Good, pre-layoffs SI) and Esquire before my story landed somewhere else. Anyone else have anecdotes?

garrow, Azrael and SixToe like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The business changes and changes and changes again.

The solitary struggle to write good sentences does not. At least not very much.

Start there. Do good work.

Then use the great advice on this thread however you can to improve your chances of making a living - and more importantly, a life - from writing.

Good luck.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yes. Never write on spec.

Draft saved Draft deleted