1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bomani Jones wearing "Caucasians/Indians" T-shirt on Mike and Mike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Apr 7, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My main point is that it would have been a lot funnier if the shirt said "Whiteys" or "Crackers."

2. JPsT

JPsT Member

OK, I'll try.

What makes this a "stunt" for you? And, if the nickname is, as you agree, racist, why shouldn't a commentator make a statement about that?

3. CD Boogie

What makes it a stunt is that it was a stunt. It's just a nice, easy way for a guy whose commentary always turns toward race to inject himself into the conversation by making a dig at white people. If this were Sherman Alexie or some other Native American, I'd look at it differently. But it's knowing his track record on such things -- especially his soft peddling of how much of a punk Cam Newton was after the SB and his ongoing hate of Peyton Manning -- that colors my view of anything Bomani does.

4. CD Boogie

Ya know, the more I think about it, I like the gesture. I tried to think of it being done by some other black sportswriter whom I admire -- say, Jim trotter or the late Bryan Burwell -- and I think it works. The prism of Bomani and my decreasing respect for his work clouded my judgment

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think this wasn't a dig at white people. I think it was a dig at white people who think it's OK to use racist caricatures of other races.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This didn't fall under ESPN'S rules barring political statements?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's not a political statement.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Only applies to white people.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This thread:

[​IMG]

OakAsSocksGrl likes this.
  11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points. Had this been the first time, or even second, Bomani turned the issue of race into an attention grab, it'd be different. But the guy could find racism in just about anything. Great points on Trotter or Burwell above.

OakAsSocksGrl likes this.
  12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The real winner in this is whoever the hell made the shirt. I'm betting sales shot up online.

Draft saved Draft deleted