1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice question,Galveston for a vacation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I was planning a Texas trip, I'd probably go to San Antonio instead. Galveston is more of a quick break from Houston than a destination.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. I lived in Houston, and didn't see the point in visiting Galveston. I would never recommend it as a destination.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kids liked the waterpark. My brothers love to fish and have boats. We also lived on the south side of town. I never went anywhere north of downtown Houston when I lived there.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Utter bullshit that the water is brown due to oil. It is that color due to the silt that comes in from the rivers, etc. Also affected by the wind direction and strength and wave patterns.

Galveston has plenty to do, and if you head on the ferry over to the Bolivar peninsula, there are miles of uncrowded beaches. Visit Moody Gardens, have a great meal at Gaido's, fish off the jetties... there's plenty of stuff to do. Ike did a terrible number on Galveston, but there is still plenty to do for a nice, peaceful break.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My parents, and brother and sister live in the Houston area, so I get down there a lot. Galveston isn't a bad place to visit. Lots of nice shops & restaurants in The Strand, Moody Gardens is well worth a visit, as is Schlitterbahn. But it's not worth a special trip. Go to San Antonio instead.

6. SpeedTchr

No beaches in San Antonio.
    Corpus is a fine destination with plenty to do when you're not on the beach.
    Or, for a quieter experience on a lovely beach, go to Rockport.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Moddy Gardens, meh.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Agreed. They lock valid HoF threads.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's true. The water has always been brown.

Again, not a destination if you want to go to the beach.

You want to go to the beach? Go to Florida.

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

No. Not ever.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, can't place the Galveston inside baseball jokes, wonder if they were on the ass kicking thread?

Love Florida beaches, trying to engineer a move to the Space Coast at some point. Will have to settle for gravy training at my father in law's until we can make it happen.

Thanks for the Galveston feedback, looks lie we are on VRBO for San Diego or San Francisco now.

12. SpeedTchr

YF, you absolutely do not know what you're talking about. The water is not always that color. But persist in your beliefs if you wish.

Draft saved Draft deleted