1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food/restaurant rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I feel like a knife and fork with pizza is acceptable when wearing a suit.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You shouldn't eat pizza with a fork. It is, however, acceptable to have a fork on hand to pick up pieces of topping and cheese that fall off a slice onto your plate.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Plate?

Dyno likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was born in Brooklyn (long before it was hipster heaven). You pick up a slice of pizza and fold it to eat it.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I eat pancakes with my hands, but rarely pizza.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Never understood the folding part, as you're basically putting the cheese and sauce farther away to bit through the crust from every angle.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ditto. For the 15 seconds that it might be too hot, blow on the end and by the time you finish the first bite, the rest of the folded slice will have cooled down enough to eat.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Plates are necessary because our local pizzeria's otherwise very good pizzas have awkwardly sized slices which are too narrow for satisfactory folding.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I grew up in New Jersey and do the folding thing. It's habit. I even do it with tiny slices from personal and frozen pizzas. My wife thought it was bizarre until we went up there to visit family and got some of the long New York style slices and she had to fold it to eat it.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just less awkward to hold with one hand. Folded, you can put it between your thumb and forefinger and not get any sauce on your fingers.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Guilty of all three. If it's too hot I use a fork (I don't like the feeling of nerve pain from my hands) and I only eat white bread, not cardboard multigrain bread my significant other swears by.

You can take your ban of putting ketchup on a hotdog and shove it along with all Chicagoans who think the same. If I have to eat salty meat, you're damn right it tastes better with something sweet on it as opposed to "Chicago way" of adding yet more salt, salty mustard and peppers.

expendable and jr/shotglass like this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that SJ.commers are experts at shoving unhealthy food into our mouths.

Mr. Sunshine and cranberry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted