1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brussels explosions, at least 13 dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Weren't the two brothers involved in the attacks Belgian nationals - not immigrants?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure their ancestors came over on the Mayflower.

Integration has failed for as long as it has been attempted. Yet, there's still a belief that in can be achieved.

3. Inky_Wretch

Wow, so the entire world should be segregated? How do we do it - by religion or skin color? Who gets the USA - Catholics, mainline protestants or evangelicals?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

HanSenSE and YankeeFan like this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ya know how it can be achieved? if we all keep humping across the races, so that everyone basically looks like Zoe Saldana. I can live with that. It's the people who don't interact with the dreaded "others" who promulgate hate and the need to remain apart. Yeah, keep those other colored people who have the same level of education out of my work pool, because they're putting me down...

Integration works fine for non-cowards.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I've heard that somewhere before.

Baron Scicluna and SnarkShark like this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Our Irish Catholic ancestors weren't readily accepted when they came here in the mid 19th century, either, as you know.

8. YankeeFan

As you pointed out, Western Europe can't even integrate second generation Muslims.

How is that not an argument for reducing/ending further Muslim integration until those already there have been integrated?

And, for me, it's not about their particular religion, it's about their willingness to respect a separation between Church/Mosque and State. It takes two sides to achieve integration. If one side doesn't want to integrate, it's not going to happen.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can we toss out the Christians here who refuse to accept the separation between church and state?

10. Inky_Wretch

You're making assumptions not supported by the facts as we know them at this time.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's a point at which Inky would say that political correctness is not worth the lives of innocent people across the globe. We obviously have not reached that point, but I have faith he has a number in mind. 10,000, 20,000, 100,000 -- something. I can respect his journey to get there.

12. YankeeFan

If some specific sect of Christianity starts blowing people up, or attacking theaters, I would support not letting in any more members of this sect.

And, if they all came from a specific area in the world, I'd look at how we screen people from that part of the world.

I'd certainly want us to increase the scrutiny of people from this sect before we let them immigrate here. I'd want an extensive interview process. I'd want their social media posts scrutinized. I'd want friends and relatives interviewed.

I'd also want to be comfortable with the idea that they had proper respect for women's rights, and that they understood how we in the West dressed, and behaved in public. If, for instance, they were uncomfortable with seeing women dressed immodestly in public, or seeing a gay couple holding hands in public, I wouldn't let them immigrate here. It's a recipe for disaster.

And, for the men in this sect, I'd want to makes sure that they understood that a woman who dressed in a manner that they might consider immodest, isn't asking to be sexually assaulted. (Though, our other screenings should already prevent such a fellow from entering our country.)

Draft saved Draft deleted