1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ok guys need some info

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rcsoxfan, Mar 1, 2016.

1. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Okay, here's the gist of my situation.
    My wife and I decided last year to move in with our daughter and her husband and the grandkids. To make a long story short, he's in the Army and will be transferring to Fort Bragg, NC at the end of July and we we will be in place by the middle of August.
    I've been out of the newspaper biz for almost a year now--it will be over a year by the time we make the move-- and I know going in blind to a new area is bad enough. But, throw in that I'm a 56 year old sports writer with about 20 years of schlepping a high school sports beat in the Midwest in with not being active for a long period of time can make for a really difficult re entry into the game. So I know this all up front.
    But anybody got any info on the area around Fayetteville, NC and even the smaller communities in the area. Maybe I'm looking for too much no too soon, but I just wonder if any of you guys on here have any insight on the area, people in the editor seats in the area or even about the demand in the area for old sports writers.
    I know there's probably two chances for a guy like me to latch onto a gig at places like the Observer with a fading resume and even fewer recent clips - slim and none, with slim picking his seat for the next bus headed to oblivion -- but any thing you young stud scribes can send my way would really be appreciated.
    Either pm me or shoot me an email at sportswriterrick@yahoo.com. Hey I'm willing to do almost anything, even covering pee wee league games on Thursday nights and the Hackem Lanes Gutterball League on every other Wednesday night for t Gummy Bear Times and Press.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good luck, rick. Wish I could help.

3. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Yeah me too, haha

BDC99 likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Rick, I'd suggest looking for opportunities outside of journalism as well. Not saying you should stop looking for journalism gigs, but in this era, you really shouldn't limit yourself.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not a good biz to be in. You can still make some money but is it worth the effort?

6. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Yeah it is for me. Especially since I really don't have to worry about rent, utilities, stuff like that. We're just along for the ride so I can be pretty picky and just wait for the right chance. Besides not having a desperate need to work, it kind of lets you find the right fit without too much else.

BDC99 likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Rc, there are some decent ops to string in Fayetteville. But remember it is pronounced fedvulle...that counts when covering sports there.

8. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Yeah ok, I also heard it has another name Fayette Nam for all of the bad areas.but that's just a rumor.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Call Tom Pope, the sports editor at the FO ... if anything, he can probably use an experienced freelancer ...

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Based on your situation, I think you should contact all the newspapers in your region for stringing opportunities. I can promise you newspapers love stringers because they're cheaper than having a full-time employee. With your experience level, I'd be surprised if someone didn't give you a call. I know we're always looking for capable stringers and we give almost anyone a shot. There aren't many good stringers out there in this area, so the ones we have get 2-3 stories a week usually and that can add up to some decent change over a month or a year.

11. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Thanks Doc. I really hope you're right. I know the area there around Ft. Bragg appears to have a lot of small papers. I think I'll start the intense hunt about the middle,or late part of spring. We're scheduled to be there by the early part of August so hopefully by football season I will be able to find something. It's just so frustrating for someone who got out and wants to get back in.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would also check the Army base for opportunities. They might be hiring communications people. Might even need help covering sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted