1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation pulls Daniel Holtzclaw longform piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. I feel kind of bad piling on Glenn Stout. Like most others here, I really wanted to be in BASW. Like, really. It was one of the few career goals I never achieved and it would have been a huge deal. Even honorable mention -- I'm embarrassed to say I would anxiously page to the back of the book in the store when it came out, hoping to see my name in the "notable." Like an idiot. So take whatever I have to say with a grain of salt.

But when he first started at SB, someone told me they'd mentioned me to him and he told them I should email him about his new venture and I did. He said he knew who I was (?) and to pitch him. I did. It even sounded like they might run it, which tells you how desperate they were.

But along the way in our email correspondence, he said something -- and I can't even remember what it was. But I remember -- exactly -- my reaction to it. It was: THIS is the guy I've been trying to impress all these years??!

It was like all the illusions fell away.

And I dropped the whole thing immediately, never replied, never cared about pitching it again -- it was very freeing, actually. Suddenly, I didn't feel so bad about having never made it into BASW all those years.

Again, let me say for the record, he's not a bad guy, probably a fine human being. But I realized he's not some mysterious master.

Just a guy who lives at the end of the road, who gets a lot of great stories delivered to his house.

And yeah, my stories were never quite good enough. I'll say that, too.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't read this entire thread so apologies if someone already asked this -- Since it is cached, and deadspin provides the link, isn't there a good chance it will be read by more people than if SB didn't pull it?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd bet five times as many people have read it since it was pulled. Curiosity factor alone would do it (forbidden fruit on the interwebs!?), but in the last week a lot of industry folks have wanted to see how this was screwed up. Heck, look at it here -- 25 pages. If the story was only questionable, and still on SB, it would probably be 5-10 pages tops.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This area was completely dry an hour before the picture was taken.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nah, once it started getting ripped apart on the Internet it was going to be read.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, Glenn Stout's new book is out today:

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Another book written with the ample assistance of newspaper articles Glenn dismisses as not worthy.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Stout not cooperating with the Deadspin article was a poor life decision. Still, Bergeron getting steamrolled? She's a fucking senior editor. If she had serious reservations and said it shouldn't be published, she should have said that. Seems like the narrative Howard put forth -- that a black woman got steamrolled by out of touch white dudes -- might not be the case. She signed off on it verbally on the phone and then by email, and then the shit hit the fan and and she tried to remove herself from any culpability.

Songbird likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Howard should reply with a picture of him putting the request into his fireplace.

Unless Trump "loosens up" the libel laws, there's no way a libel suit would go anywhere.

Now Stout is firing back. David H. Rich, a Boston-based lawyer for Stout, has sent Deadspin a request for correction on the Howard piece. “Deadspin’s inaccurate portrayal of Mr. Stout is false and defamatory and has had the practical impact of destroying his outstanding professional reputation, a reputation he has spent the last thirty (30) years building,” reads the letter, cycling through the telltale scare words of a libel suit. In addition to his duties at SB Nation, Stout has written books and served as Series Editor of “The Best American Sports Writing” anthology since its debut in 1991.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a book I'd be interested in reading... but I won't.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Boycott!

Draft saved Draft deleted