1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN drops Manning bombshell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how anyone can say there isn't news here. The affidavit is news. No one's seen it before. The part about "blaming" the "black teammate" is news. John Underwood, the ghostwriter, his admissions are news.

BUT

Many of you have hit on the issues. How much investigation was done into these allegations? Doesn't look like much. After Rolling Stone and Duke lacrosse, when are we going to learn not to accept accusations as gospel? I'm with Double Down. Something is missing here. It doesn't add up.

I'd expect the Manning pushback to be fierce.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was being a little sarcastic early on. I'm sure there's news here. It's just presented so poorly that I don't know where or what it is.

I admire DD for slogging through that.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This should be a cautionary tale against the practices of "citizen/activist journalism," "publish now and edit later," clickbait publishing and other black marks on modern journalism.

It won't, but it should be.

jr/shotglass and YankeeFan like this.
  4. MisterCreosote

I agree with you, but presentation matters a great deal. I went back and counted, and of the news items you listed, the first mention of any of them in anything more than vague, sinister-sounding generalities is in the 31st graf.

If the reporter doesn't treat the news as important, he/she is ensuring it won't get treated as such. In this case, King goes out of his way to ensure his agenda is front and center and treated as the most important thing.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure, let's all get caught up in the messenger and his awful writing and motives and forget about the actual story.

Again.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only until the messenger at least shows the responsibility/courtesy of questioning the other side and trying to cooborate the "new" information instead of just publishing one side's accusations as gospel. Sound fair?

Awful writing is part of the problem. Awful reporting is even worse.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Lugnuts likes this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Writing matters Cran. I'll be honest, I didn't make it to the 31st graf where MisterCreosote says the new stuff starts. So perhaps my flippant response on the first page was unjustified. But I also am familiar with the major parts of the story, and have been for a long time. I remember reading it in USA Today 13 years ago. After slogging through the first 600 words or so it seemed like a lot of rehash, including rehash of King's column from a week ago when he wrote about it.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK, I finally read the thing. I am convinced there's a good (if old) story in there somewhere. But I couldn't find it.

9. MisterCreosote

He literally wrote 30 grafs of bullshit, not-so-subtle accusations of racism and his own personal angst before getting to "the actual story."

He WANTS us to focus on him. This was a vanity exercise from the beginning.

10. cranberry

I agree. Now put King and his motivations aside and consider the actual story here that has been poorly reported, covered up and laughed off for a very long time.

Ace, murphyc and Gator like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I worked for an alternative weekly and a tabloid such as the News once was. Neither was shy about printing controversial stories, to say the least. And at neither paper would this story have ever run in the form I just finished reading. If King's assertions are true, then shame on the News for publishing them in such a slipshod, only partially verified and unreadable story. If they're not true, then double shame.

franticscribe and YankeeFan like this.
  12. cranberry

It's shameful both that the NYDN gives this clown space and fails to edit him.

franticscribe and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted