1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Antonin Scalia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 13, 2016.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The best thing I've seen so far is the possibility that the Senate blocks a moderate appointed by Obama until the election, which the Dems use as a political talking point to turn out the voters, and come November the Dems win BOTH the Presidency and Senate because of the turnout.
    Then, when the next President is in office, that person nominates Obama and serves for 30+ years.
    It would be the most amazing political payback I think I'd ever see in my lifetime. It would be amazing. I'd masturbate to Fox News' reaction and DVR it for spank bank purposes down the line.

Inky_Wretch and Riptide like this.
  2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

FYI, this is a quote from Senator McConnell in 2005 when a then-Democratic Senate was considering blocking a vote on then President Bush's pick to the Court ...

"Any President’s judicial nominees should receive careful consideration. But after that debate, they deserve a simple up-or-down vote. . . . It’s time to move away from advise and obstruct and get back to advise and consent. The stakes are high . . . . The Constitution of the United States is at stake. Article II, Section 2 clearly provides that the President, and the President alone, nominates judges. The Senate is empowered to give advice and consent. But my Democratic colleagues want to change the rules. They want to reinterpret the Constitution to require a supermajority for confirmation. In effect, they would take away the power to nominate from the President and grant it to a minority of 41 Senators.” (States News Service, May 19, 2005)

Selected Statements from Republican Senators on the Constitutionality of Filibustering Nominees and the Deference Owed to the President’s Nominees | Senate Democrats

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That would make President Trump the second one. :p

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Blocking an Obama nominee would be "doing their job" based on what disasters his other nominees have been.

7. old_tony

He was the best SCOTUS justice of my lifetime.

expendable likes this.
  8. old_tony

It was also God's will that Democrats get routed in 2014 and the GOP wins control of the Senate. The GOP should understand what that means. I would cherish a moment much like Jan. 2009 where 55 GOP senators stand up and say "I won."

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

10. old_tony

Also note that Obama voted yes on the attempt to filibuster the Alito confirmation. So he voted "no" on both confirmations and voted to filibuster one of them.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    expendable likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I called him "one of the Titans."

He was brilliant. He was a gifted writer. He was beloved by his many friends.

Liberals happen to disagree with him politically.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

SCOTUS nomination fight + primary season + brokered convention =
    [​IMG]
    Holy shit, what a time to be alive.

schiezainc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted