1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN drops Manning bombshell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

So I've seen it argued that a story that is 13 years old that has been reported on but didn't widely circulate is OK now because FB and other social media weren't around to make it go viral or whatever. Are we going to start digging up all sorts of old saucy news that didn't gain traction? I just don't know where it starts or stops.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think "the story" is the allegations, but vigor in which the Mannings sought/and still seek to protect his image.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I get where you are coming from, but this phenomenon is sorta the reason Bill Cosby is finally facing justice.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Maybe but haven't a lot more people come forward fueling that fire? This case was settled. If it creates a firestorm of women coming forward with Manning accusations then OK. But how do you decide when there is much more to the story? What if you don't know there is?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's certainly not apples to apples, I was just pointing out that just because people haven't paid much attention for several years, there could still be good reasons to write about it. Maybe not so much with Manning.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The good thing for Manning is he gets a twofer since he already has Ari Fleischer on the payroll for that thing he totally didn't do with the HGH.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dick, I don't think King was trying to write "narrative" journalism. I don't know that King could even tell you what that was. I think King is really into the Narrative of Shaun King (whatever that is), and thus he is unable to write things that aren't viewed through the prism of his own experiences. The Daily News has essentially been gutted the last two years, I doubt King has ever been edited in any journalistic way, and so they probably ran this piece essentially as is, fearing King would take it someplace else if he objected to suggestions he remove his personal nonsense.

Not discounting this, but I still want answers to:

How does the Manning family mafia get this woman to lose her job at South Florida College? How would that make logical sense? Wouldn't there be a pretty big wrongful termination suit to be filed? Hey, you have a dirty mouth and once had Peyton Manning assault you? We can't have you working here anymore, and also, you are now blackballed from working elsewhere. I mean, one minute she's the head trainer for the women's U.S. Track team in Beijing, and the next, she's completely unable to get a job. Because of a book excerpt? Really? I mean, I know women are treated like shit in athletic departments, but I'd like a bit more connective tissue here, please. Pick up phone. Make a few calls.

Any confirmation, other than the word of the plaintiff, that the athletic department of Tennessee tried to get her to blame "other black guys."

We also have a ghostwriter saying that Archie said a lot of awful things. And there are references to Archie being deposed, but it's not in these documents, correct? It's like in page 181-200, and those are not here?

Since this is the plaintiff's filing in opposition of summary judgement in this case, where is the defense's motion? Can we see that side as well, or only the plaintiff's claims? Did King get that motion as well and dismiss it, or was he just leaked this document?

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Gator, I'm with you on this. The general reaction here seems to be "This is old news, rehashed and poorly written. Nothing to see here, move along." I'm not denying this is an old topic and no one is saying it is Pulitzer-level writing. But how many people in the country knew about these details before this story came out? To me, it's similar to the Cosby stuff: when the new round of information started coming out, there was plenty of "Gee, we all knew he was scum. Old news" type of reaction. Seems like the rehashing of old information got new legs in this social media age, no? I could see the same happening with this Manning stuff. Especially if other journalists start digging and fill in the holes in King's story. JMO

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

One of my biggest pet peeves whenever something like sexual assault or assault of a woman occurs is the "imagine if it was your mother/daughter/sister" line of thinking.

I'm embarrassed to even be typing such things, but imagine if a grown man forced his genitals on to the face of your daughter or sister or mother or beloved colleague. What would you think about that? Would you tell your wife, "Well, that's gross, honey. How was the rest of your day?" Would you ask your daughter, "What she did to deserve that?" Of course you wouldn't. You'd be outraged.

Listen, you tool, I don't need to imagine my female relatives being defiled to be disgusted by these types of allegations. As his whole piece indicates, it's not about the act, it's about how he feels about it and how he feels you should feel about it.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The exact same reaction I had when I read that, SS.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Isnt king the guy who outed his mother as being a sex machine who couldn't keep track of who she was screwing ergo his birth certificate lists the wrong father?

Draft saved Draft deleted