1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The downfall of CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cranberry, Feb 3, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The 60-plus crowd keeps multiple outlets alive here. Yet our numbers are very strong for the 25-54 demo. I wish I could get a breakdown of 25-34, though. It's probably minuscule.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The weather comments about older views could not be any more spot-on. My Dad is 67 and a widower. Every night when we chat, he has to hang up just after 11 so he can watch the weather. Then he watches the weather on the other stations later in their newscasts.

He also gets the newspaper, so we should all thank him.

Kayaugstin Kott likes this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On top of this, the people most obsessed with the weather are often shut-ins or those who only drive everywhere and haven't been on a bicycle in 56 years.

Unless a tornado is circling, weather shouldn't affect them.

But they watch.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My wife's brother, who is 66 and lives in northern Minnesota, loves it when his city is tabbed as the coldest in the country on a given day.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Chicago Tribune columnist Mary Schmich had a funny chart about topics of conversation for various age groups. I don't remember it exactly, but it went something like this:

0-3: Gibberish
    4-12: Weather, bodily functions, poop jokes
    13-30: Sex, relationships, drinking/drugs
    31-50: Careers, parenting, world affairs
    51-70: Lack of sex, crumbling relationships, drinking/drugs
    70-85: Weather, bodily functions, poop jokes
    85-plus: Gibberish

Bronco77 likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tell him to vacation in Yakutsk.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. Thank you, Electric Boogaloo's father. ... And thank you to that entire generation, of which my parents also belong to. No one supports our industry like the crowd of those aged 60-plus.

The youngest generation of current news consumers, like those in college today, are horrible news consumers. They will fill my feed with RTs and shares of aggregated work that is significantly worse than that done by the original reporter. And I'm sorry to say it appears that's the road down which our profession seems to be headed, unless old-media outworks blogs (and the like) on the social media front.

EDIT: But I will say, the company I keep on Twitter is much more informed than the people I'm friends with on Facebook. For that reason, I hope Twitter never dies.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

International Falls represent!

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

It's the same with infant and toddler girl clothes; they're the same prints, patterns and cuts as old women's clothes. Talbot's and Chico's should market to moms, too.

Lugnuts likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When feasible, I go out of my way to find the original work and then tweet it out. I'm a nerd like that, though.

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hibbing, actually.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted