1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana's broke, but the real question is will LSU play football in 2016?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Louisiana's governor John Bel Edwards gave a televised, statewide speech Thursday to address Louisiana's budget crisis. The state is about $2 billion in the hole for the next fiscal year, and some combination of tax increases and draconian cuts is greatly needed.
    Some of the cuts will come from higher education, up to and including suspending operations at the state's universities. To throw an extra bit of urgency into the discussion, he made mention that such a move would effectively kill LSU football for 2016.

John Bel Edwards says budget crisis threatens all of Louisiana -- even LSU football

I'm sure they'll figure something out, but it does raise an interesting question. LSU's athletic department is self-sustaining and receives no money from the university or the state. It actually gives money back to the school.
    So if the athletic department but not the school has money, what the hell happens? The players obviously would have no grades, so are they considered academically ineligible? Would LSU get some sort of waiver from the NCAA to continue on for at least a year until the mess sorts itself out?
    I've heard of programs being shut down for various reasons, but this seems like we could be heading for a truly odd situation with one of the country's biggest athletic programs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess ending dialysis and hospice services didn't get his point across.

It's hostage negotiating ahead of a vote on taxes. That's it.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

My initial reaction is "Enjoy basketball, McNeese State."

Seems very odd to hold LSU football hostage so soon in a budget battle, especially considering the cash cow it is. It's the early skirmishes and the governor is reaching for the nuclear button.

Good thing he waited till after Fat Tuesday.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wasn't this a line in a Marx Brothers movie, closing the university but keeping the football team?

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

C'mon, LTL, those folks were gonna die anyway.

In all seriousness, could anyone besides Louisiana fuck things up this badly? OK, anyone besides Louisiana and Detroit? OK, anyone besides...

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the 1950s, Oklahoma's president talked about building a university that the football team could be proud of.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Horse Feathers. "

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It won't happen, but I'd love to see the outrage if LSU football was a budget cut victim. It would be insane.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess that Ben Simmons was more expensive than originally thought.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know what people are complaining about. They got the tax cuts they wanted. Now maybe 90,000 fans won't gather a few Saturdays a year to root on tax cuts, or tax cuts won't power your life-support machine, they made their choice. Enjoy.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Christian conservatives broke it when they put Bobby Jindal in office. Guess they own it now.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm s no one thinking of the coffee shop waitresses?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted