1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor/Reporter - Columbia, TN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Description:

Assistant Sports Editor

The Daily Herald in Columbia, Tenn., 45 minutes south of Nashville, seeks a full-time sports reporter/copy editor to cover high school sports and the Tennessee Titans at home on Sundays, among other duties.

The ideal candidate should have experience covering local events, editing sports copy and designing pages. Experience with digital reporting, including photography and video, would put your resume near the top of the list.

The job will be a mix of writing and copy editing, including production of daily and special sections. Frequent updating of the web site required during breaking news.

To apply, please send cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Editor James Bennett at jbennett@c-dh.net and Sports Editor Marion Wilhoite at mwilhoite@c-dh.net. Be sure writing samples include at least one sports enterprise or feature story.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Ass't Sports Editor & Reporter

2. Travis Smith

Travis Smith New Member

Anyone else think this sounds like a subtle hint at lot of pagination?

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Pagination doesn't scare me (although it doesn't thrill me, either) but I'm willing to bet you're part of a two-man staff and the job pays in the low-to-mid 20s. Otherwise, it might be a neat little gig, assuming the part about covering the Titans is true.

4. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I looked through the website and found gamers from a Daily Herald staffer -- just for home games. Although, they weren't featury or multimedia-centered at all. Nothing different or better than what AP provides, so not sure what it accomplishes.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

It probably accomplishes the appearance of throwing them a bone since the job also entails a lot of pagination.

Draft saved Draft deleted