1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Bank of Scotland to investors: 'Sell everything'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 12, 2016.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Ragu got me curious re: Workforce participation rates, especially as it relates to demographic trends. So I did some searching. Hardly the be-all, end-all I'm sure, but thought this was interesting (Fujita, 2014):

1. Between the first quarter of 2000 and the final quarter of 2013, the participation rate declined more than 4 percentage points. Roughly 65 percent of the decline is accounted for by retirement and disability. The increase in nonparticipation due to retirement has occurred only after around 2010, while nonparticipation due to disability has been steadily increasing over the past 13 years. Similarly, nonparticipation due to schooling has been steadily increasing and has been another major contributor to the secular decline in the participation rate since 2000.
    2. The number of those who did not look for a job (thus being out of the labor force) even though they wanted a job increased significantly between the fourth quarter of 2007 and the end of 2011. This group of “discouraged workers” explains roughly 30 percent of the total decline (around 2 percentage points) in the participation rate over the same period. Between the first quarter of 2012 and the fourth quarter of 2013, the participation rate of this group has been roughly flat.
    3. Almost all of the decline (80 percent) in the participation rate since the first quarter of 2012 is accounted for by the increase in nonparticipation due to retirement. This implies that the decline in the unemployment rate since 2012 is not due to more discouraged workers dropping out of the labor force.

(This analysis only runs to 2014, so it's not the most up-to-date. Will look for things carrying through 2015, if they exist.)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

95 million + Americans (and likely much more than that) are not working. Untold million others are severely underemployed. A demographic shift certainly could account for a small portion of that, although the BLS reports each month has painted a picture much different than that, truth be told. Older workers working longer (and they have held up better than young workers in terms of actually being able to find jobs)--not retiring. They put out quite a few reports over the last few years that showed job gains that got put in headlines. ... even though the number of workers aged 25 to 54 actually declined. And it always leaves me scratching my head. The actual BLS reports, actually tell a story far removed from this fantasy that the population is getting older and the reason 95 million plus Americans aren't working is that people are simply retiring. In fact, here is a chart Zero Hedge did after the jobs report in November.

[​IMG]

They cherry picked from 2007 as the starting point. The actual jobs reports month after month had broken down to workers aged 55 and older having gained more than 7.5 million jobs over the past 8 years. ... and workers aged 55 and under having lost a cumulative total of 4.6 million jobs since 2007. I read those reports every month, and that has certainly been what I am seeing month after month. With the majority of the new jobs being lower paying service sector jobs replacing what had been higher paying jobs 5, 10 years ago.

It's also much closer to the reality people seem to be living. Of course that is anecdotal, so take it for what it is worth.

It also doesn't address what is easy to see about the workforce participation rate. The number of people receiving disability checks, because their unemployment benefits ran out, has blown up. Disability has become code for "can't find a job that pays more than the disability check." As well, the number of people participating in the SNAP (food stamp) program has exploded. It doesn't take a study -- just common sense -- to know that we are not anywhere near full employment the way the U3 number would suggest. It's a farcical number. Our real unemployment rate is is in double digits -- who knows how high into double digits? Even the U6 number, which is the closest thing to an honest number they have, was at 9.9 percent last Friday. That includes people working part-time because they can't get full-time work -- even though it still ignores many people who would be counted as unemployed if it was simply a matter of, "Who is working at full capacity and who isn't."

3. The Big Ragu

FYI, stocks gave up those overnight gains into the close. Tesla reports earnings soon. Should be fun.

4. The Big Ragu

Noted "nut" Jim Grant on TV a half hour ago:

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sure LOOKS like a nut...

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued that there is something called The Fixed Income Analysts Society Hall of Fame.
    I don't want to think about some of the meandering threads that concept can create around this place.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jim Grant rants about the Fed more often than you. Yes, he's nuts.

8. The Big Ragu

He lives about a block away from me. I see him jogging in the mornings sometimes. He doesn't wear the bowtie when he exercises. It may be the only time you will see him without a bowtie. He's a really smart guy, obviouysly. A former journalist, too. ... Baltimore Sun, and had a really popular column for Barron's, when people still read newspapers. Grant's Interest Rate Observer is very well respected -- well, apparently by most people. ... but not including cranberry. It's contrary by nature, but very thorough in its analysis. You can name any reckless behavior or mispricing of risk the markets have seen since the 1980s, and he was out there sounding the horn early. Not just sounding the horn, but spelling out the reasons clearly -- not "ideas," (in cranberry lingo), but tangible reasons for why things were mispriced. He is right a whole lot. Which is why he is well respected. But he's a nut in cranberry's world.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Aw, I was just funnin'. I have no idea who he is. He just looks kind of like Bill Nye the Science Guy.

10. cranberry

Remember when Newt Gingrich was running for president and told people he'd hire Grant to lead a committee that would abolish the Fed and return to the gold standard?

He's a nutcase gold bug.

11. The Big Ragu

The dollar has lost 99 percent of its value since the inception of the Federal Reserve and its monopoly power. For the last 3 decades, it has acted particularly recklessly, creating a series of escalating debt crises that have had, and are continuing to have, worldwide consequences -- and will continue to for years to come -- as the academics you have wedded yourself to, fuck us all.

But anyone who has been critical of that -- for obvious reasons -- is a "nutcase gold bug."

A lot of people who have had their heads in the sand have started waking up to the consequences of all of the consumption that has been pushed forward to reckless degrees. But not you.

You do, however, do dismissive very well. Congrats.

12. cranberry

You can rant about the Fed all you want and sing the praises of your gold bug heroes, but that doesn't put you or them anywhere close to the mainstream. The Fed is here to stay.

Draft saved Draft deleted