1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need a vacation recommendation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nebraska/Iowa wouldn't be my choice, but I like the fact that your choosing something really different from where you are heading I was thinking about that.
    Go someplace north or serious mountains before heading to tropical location.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Colorado be in driving distance? Seems like there should be plenty to do between Denver and the resorts. Even if you don't ski/snowboard, tubing is a blast.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

tbf, are there any Strategic Air Command museums out that way? I would think so. Maybe not too exciting, but teaching the kids about Curtis LeMay, the Cold War, etc. could be really educational.

Then again, Nuclear Armageddon could scar them for life - unless you show them Dr. Strangelove soon after the museum visits.

Anyway, just a thought - maybe a good idea, maybe not.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We talked about heading out to Yellowstone, but that's four days of solid days driving on a seven-day (max) vacation. We're actually looking at Minneapolis, too, for whomever mentioned that earlier. One of my Army besties is from there, so I've got a call in for him.

We've done Colorado Springs a couple times recently. We looked at Denver and, even some cheaper ski spots up near Boulder and Fort Collins, but when you factor in equipment rental, buying a few clothes (we have most of the under layers), lift tickets and more expensive lodging, skiing wasn't really much cheaper than LA/Disney.

We honestly have no idea.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yellowstone is fantastic, but I'm with you. I'm not spending for days in the car on a seven-day trip.
    You'll have to hit it after you get back.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

After about four hours of discussion over last night and tonight, we finally decided the Kansas-Nebraska-Iowa loop, ending with the NCAA tournament game in Des Moines, is best way to go.

Her car gets about 45 MPG on the highway, so it'll be decisively cheaper visiting all the quirky Midwest tourist stuff (balls of twine, popcorn balls, castles, museums, etc.), than jet-setting to LA.

Not sure how the kids'll take some of it, but there'll be some cool stuff in between the boring stuff. And, after all the research, I've gotten it figured out where the longest leg is like two hours without a stop of some sort. Hotels and food will be cheaper, save the huge, dry-aged steaks I'm going to eat in Omaha and Lincoln.

Some of the highlights will be:
    Minden, NE – Pioneer museum
    Kearney, NE – Heartland Museum of Military vehicles
    Lincoln -- Nebraska State Capitol tour
    Lincoln -- Race car museum
    Lincoln -- National Museum of Roller Skating
    Lincoln -- Tractor museum
    Ashland, NE – Strategic Air Command Museum
    Omaha -- Zoo
    Omaha -- Durham Museum
    Boys Town, IA – World’s largest ball of stamps
    Audubon, IA – 45-foot tall concrete cow
    Ida Grove, IA – Castles
    Sac City, IA – World’s largest popcorn ball
    Sac City, IA – Quilts painted on the side of barns

Obviously, we likely won't get to see all this stuff over four days, but Rusty and Audrey'll be shittin' bricks when they get to add twine to the largest ball of twine on the fucking planet! We've made a deal to not use the GPS, but to stop and buy atlases, marking our routes with highlighters. We'll also avoid interstates and stick to back roads.

Anyone have experience buying NCAA tickets? Is it easier to just hit the ticket window before the game, scalp them, or try to get them online as soon as the schedules are released?

Draft saved Draft deleted