1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you get when you cut Planned Parenthood funding?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 4, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"If we just had tried some more leeches ..."

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

dq, it is worth noting that the teen pregnancy rate is at an all-time low, down 51 percent from 1990-2010 according to this link.

Trends in Teen Pregnancy and Childbearing - The Office of Adolescent Health

That seems to line up with the timeframe of condom distribution in schools, beginning as a reaction not to pregnancies but to the HIV crisis. So there is pretty good evidence that it's working.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's also worth noting that the teen pregnancy rate reached its all-time high when the left insisted "if it feels good, do it" because condoms and the pill fix everything.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I thought this chart was telling, too:

teenbirthratemap2011.jpg

5. doctorquant

Sure. But look at teen/unintended pregnancy rates among the poor in urban areas (e.g., NYC, Baltimore, etc.). They're a disaster. And those are exemplars of reproductive services being "accessible." And, for the record (and the moron caucus' characterizations notwithstanding), I am absolutely not against contraception being made widely available and cheap. It is widely available and cheap, Planned Parenthood or no.

6. doctorquant

You would ...

7. cranberry

Yup. It does a great job of pointing out the problem states like, for example, Texas.

8. doctorquant

I'm enjoying your display of your skills as a social scientist here. It brings to mind the old bromide about an infinite number of chimpanzees typing away at an infinite number of typewriters. Soon, merely as a matter of chance, you're going to not draw a mistaken inference.

old_tony likes this.
  9. cranberry

You're of course free to explain the "mistaken inference" to the extent you believe there is one, but, so far, you haven't. The "I'm a really smart math teacher, so everyone should take my word for it" crap doesn't fly.

10. doctorquant

Tuition's not free, champ.

11. cranberry

Let us know when you have an answer. Until then, you're just Old Tony with a slightly better vocabulary.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Teens have been getting pregnant for thousands of years. The difference now is that, thanks to the left, we're not shifting them to their "aunt's" for hundreds of miles away for multiple months- long visits.

Draft saved Draft deleted