1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most frightening words you can hear

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We redesigned last year, first time in about 10 years. The intent was to create a few modular pages and layouts that would help our watered-down staff get some inside pages done early. What it actually did was add to the workload, more often than not, by reducing our flexibility and creating items that we need to devote man-hours to instead of being able to plug something in if we get backed up.
    And for sports I was never told what the changes would be or asked my opinion on what effect they'd have on our work flow. Just told, "Yeah, next month you're going to have this, this and this. Isn't that great? No? Too bad."

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth. News gets a week or two to play with new look, but person in charge of redesign remembers there's a sports section a day before launch.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Don't worry. Our readers will continue to enjoy our complete coverage of the tri-county area."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Just had one of those last week.

Also had a minor redesign last fall: Simplifying things for the new cemtral copy desk that builds three other papers.

5. "I'm from corporate. I'm here to help."

"I'm late."

Potter and Doc Holliday like this.
  6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

"We're not going to be filling Loretta's position when she leaves."

We've not filled two other positions already this year. We no longer have a receptionist. Since she also was the classifieds person, I have no idea who's doing that now.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We're going to shuffle some positions around ...

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Craigslist, unfortunately ...

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

+1

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"I'm not asking anyone to do anything I wouldn't do myself. ... No, really."

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

(continued at 4:30 p.m. Friday, as the sports staff is coming in for another weekend night shift)
    "Help out so you can spend time with your family? Sorry, I can't. I have to go to my 7-year-old daughter's softball game. You're planning to cover that, right?"

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

That line excites me so much, I search my hard drive for my resume.

HejiraHenry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted