1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Hawkeyes beat reporter -- Des Moines Register and Iowa City Press-Citizen

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zack Creglow, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Zack Creglow

Zack Creglow New Member

We just posted our opening for the Iowa Hawkeyes beat reporter at the Des Moines Register and Iowa City Press-Citizen. It's a terrific opportunity for someone with experience covering college sports. The position is located in Iowa City, one of the best college towns in the midwest. It's a highly engaged fan base and this is a major beat for us. Questions can be sent to zdcreglow@dmreg.com. Applicants will need to apply at: Career Opportunities: Hawkeyes Beat Reporter - Iowa City (80261).

============

Job description:

The Des Moines Register and Iowa City Press-Citizen, Iowa’s leading news network and a member of the USA TODAY NETWORK, have an opening for an Iowa Hawkeyes beat reporter.

Are you an ambitious, fast-paced, digitally-minded reporter who is driven by going beyond game coverage to offer analysis and compelling content that will surprise readers and keep them coming back for more? If you answered yes, then read on…

In this role, you will:
    • Deliver on a unique opportunity to cover a Big Ten team that went undefeated in its most recent season and competed in the Rose Bowl.
    • Appear and deliver thoughts on the Hawk Central radio show.
    • Write engaging content for print and digital sources that captures readers and keeps them coming back for more.
    Here’s what you need:
    • 3-5 years of sports reporting experience and clips that include both stories and audio/video elements
    • Experienced in investigative reporting on a sports beat, strong profiles and alternative story forms
    • Collaborative – working closely with the Hawkeyes columnist, sports producers, a sports content coach and others
    • Comfortable appearing on the Hawk Central radio show and presenting thoughts in a clear, professional manner on video
    • Adept at growing audience through great content
    • Smart with social media and multimedia
    • Highly self-motivated
    • Able to meet tight deadlines and travel when needed
    Here’s what we have to offer:
    • Competitive compensation
    • Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
    • Life Insurance
    • 401(K) Saving Plan
    • Paid Time Off
    • Paid Company Holidays
    • Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
    • Employee Discount Program

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

This is a good job at the largest paper in the state of Iowa, and located in a great town in Des Moines (especially once the national media leaves next week following the Iowa caucus). It's really a 2-man beat (which the Register does for Iowa and Iowa State), and you'd get to work with beat "columnist" Chad Leistikow, promoted from beat reporter following Rick Brown's departure. The Register has a presence at every Iowa football and almost all Iowa men's basketball games (missed a handful of early road games this season) but they cover the hell out of the Hawks and Cyclones. A great opportunity here, and while Iowa football media relations can be tough to deal with under Ferentz, I think they've softened just a bit recently.

3. Zack Creglow

Zack Creglow New Member

A note on this job: We'll begin reviewing applicants starting the week of Feb. 7. I'm out a portion of next week and the caucuses are dominating everything right now, so just wanted to let any applicants or interested parties on here know when things will start moving along.

Also, appreciate the nice remarks from the above poster but to be clear, this position is located in Iowa City, a tremendous college town. This person would produce content to appear in the Register and Iowa City Press-Citizen.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. ped0003

ped0003 New Member

Does that mean the deadline to apply is Feb. 7, too?

5. Zack Creglow

Zack Creglow New Member

No, the job remains open.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Sorry to be that guy, but I'm not sure where to start: what's the ballpark salary for a job like this?

7. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Edited cause I misspoke. No one selected yet. Just advancing the process.

Got an email today saying they've moved forward with other candidates. Good luck to yous'all.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  8. Zack Creglow

Zack Creglow New Member

We have an accepted offer from a candidate.

I know a number of people saw the listing through this message board. I just want to say I appreciate the time and consideration everyone took in applying. We were very lucky to have the interest that we did -- in total, 170 applicants applied. There was a tremendous amount of talent included.

Good luck to you all.

Zack Creglow

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping us updated and in the loop.

Draft saved Draft deleted