1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ugh

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Work? Or is that just wishful thinking? I had heard that a UCLA doctor cleared him to compete pretty recently.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Remember, Mark Henry said he was retiring, too. I'll wait until it plays out tonight.

JRoyal likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

I'm hoping it's a Mark Henry swerve.

If it's not, they better wait until the end of the show, otherwise they're going to be dealing with fans either crying or not giving a shit about the main event.

And if it is true, they probably wanted to have him get it out there now, so that fans are prepared. It'd kill the show if he came out with the announcement during the show.

ADD: it could also be a ploy by him to retire, then wait until his contract expires and come out of retirement in another organization.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Seems like their new thing is drumming up ratings by making social media announcements during the day? Like with the subtle Rock tease a few weeks ago?

I don't know, people thought he was going to retire when he came back last January.....but couched that Tweet in mystery. This one doesn't have that....but you guys are right, if this isn't done right it could kill the whole vibe of the show....

It's hard to believe he'd just give up his quest to sit out his contract and wrestle elsewhere......I read one theory they may pair him with Styles as a manager/mentor/friend type....maybe that's a slow burn to comeback and feud?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I hope it's a swerve, but Coach says it isn't.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm so bummed out over the likelyhood that this isn't a work. If his health is really that bad, I hope The E doesn't release him. I don't want to see the guy wrestle in New Japan and scramble his brains. He was very open about not wanting to take other, non-wrestling roles, even disparaging Tough Enough on a Total Divas episode. But hopefully he will eventually take those roles. Assign him to commentary or as someone's manager. Give him a podcast or some kind of Network show. It probably won't happen immediately. Edge talked a lot about needing to take a few years away from it before he was comfortable with fringe involvement, like guest spots or this Network show with Christian (which looks hilarious).

We'll always have WrestleMania 30.

In a selfish way, it's disheartening that it's one more guy I won't see at the WrestleMania I finally get to attend. This card doesn't look that great so far. Roman ending the show as champ? No thanks. Surely The E is gonna corse correct something at Fast Lane. Maybe they give Ambrose the ball, see how far he can carry it.

8. KYSportsWriter

You dream, Bradley.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Everything Meltzer seems to be saying indicates its not a work. Sucks. Maybe it'll be different for DB just being where his wife is there, he might as well be there too in some kind of Foley commish role or what have you.

I cannot believe Taker thinks Cena's going to heal for Mania. That's insanity and they're wasting seven weeks that could be used to build another opponent. I can't see them being so naive as to put themselves in position to scramble when it turns out he isn't healed. (or heeled, as is always the case for Cena).

10. Baron Scicluna

They're either giving us an incredible work, or this really is it. They've been doing Bryan highlights at every segment.

Stef was fun turning the Bryan chants around, too.

11. Baron Scicluna

That Miz TV/Highlight Reel was a lot of fun.

Seems like the E is stepping it up a bit for this show so the fans don't get depressed.

12. KYSportsWriter

Can you blame them? The biggest mistake they could've made was have Daniel Bryan come out first and announce the retirement. Who's gonna wanna tune in after that? At least this way they're building the intrigue.

Draft saved Draft deleted