1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bridge of Spies. Very entertaining (maybe because Hanks does what I kinda do for a living).

heyabbott likes this.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Maybe; I don't think so, but I can see that some might see it that way.
    I just don't think it's a great, uplifting story.
    The guy wanted to be a downhill skier but couldn't qualify, so he made a mockery of another event and gained brief international recognition for it.
    And I almost always take issues with these 'true story' movies. They're fictionalized to make for a better story, but the vast majority of people don't get that.
    I have no idea what type of artistic license has been taken with the Eddie the Eagle story; I just have never been of the mindset that viewed that as an uplifting story.

Although, I acknowledge the man's guts and force of will.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I rented it last night and, overall, I liked it.

There were a few Spielberg flourishes I could do without, but Hanks is always solid and I enjoyed seeing Mark Rylance perform. It made me want to see him on stage in a Shakespearean role.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rescue spies and graduate students?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Plain old hostage negotiation would be pretty cool.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I agree on the true story movies. If a true story is good enough to make a movie out of it, the artistic license shouldn't be necessary.

That said, I like the idea that Olympians can come from virtually any circumstance.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I'm with Buck on Eddie the Eagle. More power to him for finding a loophole to compete but is it really that different from those rich goofs who qualify from their non competing countries just so they can walk in the parade.

I don't find the Olympics so sacrosanct that it can't be gamed, just don't need to see those people celebrated.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Eddie at least was putting his life on the line when he competed. Not like a sprinter who runs a 13.1 100 meters and faces a pulled hamstring at worst.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tomorrowland was an interesting movie. Would have been interesting to see a longer cut of the movie. The main problems were the "villain" (Hugh Laurie) really isn't given much screen time or a point of view and the film never really answers the question it poses (why or when did we get pessimistic about the future).

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mystery, Alaska. Underrated

ChrisLong and Cosmo like this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A low-budget horror on Netflix called "Contracted." Just fucking gross. It's strangely stuck with me all day.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

image.jpg Have ALMOST gotten this the last two times I was at the library. Third time might be the charm, as I buckle in and borrow it. (If you can't read the small print, it reads "You'll all be damned!"

Draft saved Draft deleted