1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl 50

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 26, 2016.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

No one cares when Belichick acts like a petulant child but when Cam does.....

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I can't really argue the point. But I understand him just being devastated after the year they had.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but who is honestly bothered by it? If he'd just mindlessly spouted the usual clichés and polite platitudes for 10 minutes everybody except him would essentially be worse off. Writers would have nothing worthwhile to write about from his presser, but now they do--get to bash Cam! Same goes for the TV talking heads now shamelessly making hay "ripping" him for it. As well as fans now enjoying his visible pout. It's a win win for nearly everyone but him.

So perhaps folks should stop pretending it was a bad thing. As I see it, this merely makes the story of SB 50 a bit more interesting. I personally kinda liked it simply because it was blatantly honest. He felt sullen, angry and unwilling to talk, so that's how he genuinely acted instead of trying to fake his way through the usual mind-numbing clichéd responses that nobody can do anything with. Unprofessional and ill advised? Of course. But that's only a problem to him.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Dear Cam, you want to dab? Go ahead and dab. You want to point after every first down? Great. You want to make a spectacle of yourself when things are going well? All the power to you.

But when things don't break your way, this is how it's done. This is how real professionals handle the situation. Perhaps someday you'll get there.

BTExpress and Batman like this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Perhaps.

Could also look up the Manning press conference in January 2006 when he blamed "protection problems" for the loss to the Steelers, and see how his linemen felt about that.

People aren't perfect. Not even quarterbacks.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because I love nerdy Super Bowl trivia, this was the first time since Super Bowl XXVIII (Cowboys-Bills rematch) and only the fourth time ever that there was not a passing touchdown in the Super Bowl.
    The other two without a passing TD were Jets-Colts in SB III and Dolphins-Vikings in SB VIII.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, Belichick has been criticized quite a bit over the years for what he does. On the other hand, he is a hell of a lot more accomplished than Newton, so that covers up for a lot.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For the first time in his career, Cam Newton lost a big game. Are we really going to get our panties in a wad over how he handled a presser? Who the fuck cares!

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Sounds like the insufferable prick I've always thought him to be.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There aren't only two choices:

1. Act like a sore loser;
    2. Spout cliches.

He was also welcome to graciously and honestly talk about the game. I'm not going to defend him for acting like my 6-year-old does when he loses at Monopoly.

JackReacher likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What's your message to Panthers fans?
    "We'll be back."

Ron [Rivera] said Denver two years ago had a tough time and they bounced back. Do you take that to heart?
    "No."

Can you put a finger on why Carolina didn't play the way it normally plays?
    "Got outplayed."

Is there a reason why?
    "Got outplayed, bro."

Was it pretty much what you had seen on film from Denver? Anything different they put in for this game?
    "Nothing different."

Do we sometimes forget that defenses can still take apart the offenses in this game?
    "No."

What did Ron Rivera say after the game?
    "He told us a lot of things."

Anything in particular that was memorable?
    "Nope."

Obviously you're disappointed. On the biggest stage it's difficult, I know.
    [nods head]

Did you see anything that you didn't expect tonight?
    "They just played better than us. I don't know what you want me to say. They made more plays than us, and that's what it comes down to. We had our opportunities. It wasn't nothing special that they did. We dropped balls, we turned the ball over, gave up sacks, threw errant passes. That's it. They scored more points than us."

Can you put into words the disappointment you feel right now?
    "We lost."

Did Denver change anything defensively to take away your running lanes?
    "No."

I know you're disappointed not just for yourself, but for your teammates. It's got to be real tough.
    [shakes head] "I'm done man."

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I love when white dorks get mad at black guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted