1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

O.J. is still in.

O.J. Simpson | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

No one's ever been taken out of the Hall of Fame in any sport once already elected, to my knowledge.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That is going to be a fun first-timers debate in 2018 -- You have Moss. You have Ray Lewis. You have Brian Urlacher. You have Steve Hutchinson. That would basically a class plus one spot.

3. Della9250

There's no reason to think Moss will be first-ballot based on the numbers and what they did to TO

Moss: 982 catches, 15,292 yards, 156 TDS, 6 Pro Powls, 4 first-team all-Pro, 1st team all Decade
    Owens: 1,078 catches, 15,934 yards, 153 TDs, 6 Pro Bowls, 5 first team all-pro, 2nd team all-decade

4. Della9250

Based on their voting patterns, I don't think this is true. As pointed above -- there are only five first-time receivers. T.O. didn't get it despite better numbers and no off-the-field issues. I think they kept him from going in last year

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's plenty of reason. The same guys doing the voting are the guys who already decided Moss was better during their primes.

Moss also had much higher heights. TO's career high in TDs was 16 and yards was 1,451. Moss beat the TDs three times and the yards twice.

6. Della9250

Oh and a tip to the voters -- let's skew back to defense a little bit.

In the last four classes, two of them have only had one defender and seven out of 20. With two offensive spots already spoken for in 2017, let's get going on that side of the ball.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Peter King is quoting the voting guidelines when he says that. According to the rules, the voters are not supposed to consider off-the-field issues.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And then the following year you get three more with Tony Gonzalez, Ed Reed and Champ Bailey.
    We might end up with a defensive player backlog similar to the one we had with receivers the last five or six years.

The receiver backlog, BTW, is the ONLY reason I can think of for T.O. not getting in this year. The voters don't seem too keen on doubling up positions within a class. Harrison had been waiting while the rest of the backlog cleared, and this was his year. My guess is T.O. sails in next year, especially after the uproar this year's snub is creating and before we get to those stacked classes in 2018 and 2019.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So someone doesn't get in on the first ballot. Does it make a difference?

10. Della9250

To be fair about the backlog, they have done a decent job of getting the long-waiting finalists inducted. Jacoby needs to go in next year as an 80s guy but the longest wait for a finalist is about to be four for Anderson and Lynch

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jacoby will get in eventually. It took Russ Grimm 5 tries as a finalist and he was considered a better player in his time than Jacoby.

12. Della9250

I know he will, I'm just looking at where we are with finalists and he's by far the oldest guy among the players. I don't mind making a guy who retired this decade wait a bit, like Faneca or even Pace if it meant Jacoby got his due ASAP or someone like Steve Atwater gets more for a chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted