1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the most bootleg college athletics program is ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 15, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to know if the NCAA has a list of "non-countable" programs like the NAIA does.

Is everyone familiar with the USCAA? It has that sort of feel. We have a school near us that belongs to the USCAA, Central Penn College, and they actually played five D-I basketball opponents last year -- Elon, Radford, Liberty, Columbia and (this one really got me) Central Michigan.

Seems the CP coach landed a kid four years ago who actually had some basketball skills -- 6-4 forward who could jump out of the building and had a knack for finding open spaces in the lane. So the coach toted this team up and down the east coast. They'd lose 130-75 while the good kid scored 35 points, pick up the guarantee money and head home. I suppose the appeal is there for the big school to look good in front of its home crowd in a season where they might look pretty bad most of the time.

I haven't really seen this carried out in football. While the USCAA had 69 basketball programs last season, it lists five football programs: Alfred State College, Concordia (Ala.) College, Iowa Wesleyan, The Apprentice School and Williamson Trade.

I noticed at least Williamson is one of those "non-countable" programs to the NAIA. Their four opponents so far have been Jersey Coast Academy, Thaddeus Stevens School of Technology, Maryland-Eastern Shore and George Mason. UMES and George Mason don't count football among its intercollegiate sports; they're club programs.

Just a really strange little corner of the "collegiate" sports world.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Apprentice School is a shipbuilding training school in Virginia. Williamson Trade sounds like a similar deal. While the missions are entirely different from most colleges, I wonder if they would have any chance of passing NCAA muster.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Bumping the thread after my paper ran a signing story of a local prep baseball player who announced he's going to play for NCSU. No, not N.C. State, but someplace called North Carolina Sports University, located outside of Charlotte.
    The player claims the school took over the former Barber Scotia College and concentrates solely on sports. He says he'll major in sports management along with playing baseball.
    Have any of you heard of this place:

NC Sports U Timberwolves Official Athletics Website | School Information

EDIT: OK, this search result was a little farther down, but it will be opening next August and Waldorf College is its "learning partner" and will actually issue the degrees.

NCSU

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

At least they dropped a little coin on a decent web designer.

7. dixiehack

image.png Looks like they were chosen to be a blood sacrifice.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they can boast about beating North Carolina!

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. dixiehack

That's not what I was expecting to see when I clicked on this thread. How awful.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted