1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl 50

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fifth straight underdog to win the Super Bowl outright.

Last favorite to win was Green Bay over Pittsburgh.

Baltimore, the Giants, Seattle, New England were all underdogs.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I love that Peyton's message during his initial postgame interviews was that he's going to get drunk and plow his wife until dawn.
    If that's the standard for Super Bowl winning quarterbacks, maybe Johnny Manziel does have a future in this league.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Aqib Talib's bad night continued after the game:

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Everyone ragging on Cam; did you even see him get pounded? Montana, as great as he was, (9er fan here) never got lit up like that and then won a SB, let alone a game. The winners (victors) get to write the history and since Cam lost, he gets made out as the "business decision" guy rather than the guy who got hammered all game, yet kept getting up. I rooted for the Broncos, just to root for the old guy, 'cause I'm an old guy, but damn, its not like Cam was out there like a deer in the headlights or even Carson Palmer.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Anyone hammering Cam OR Manning need to chill. Manning is on the verge of 40 and did what needed to be done. Cam never had time to even look at his FIRST option ...

expendable and BTExpress like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's not getting pounded for his effort just on that one play, or even his overall effort in this game. He didn't play well, but they still were in a position to pull it out in the fourth quarter.
    What he's getting pounded for is the total cumulation of his whiny frontrunner attitude, especially the way he handled himself in the postgame. Every quarterback who has been in this spot has taken the podium and found a way to suck it up for 10 minutes. You don't have to smile or be happy. Just give a few philosophical platitudes about coming back stronger from it, break down a few key plays honestly (or even say, "I'd have to watch the film") and get through it. Peyton Manning has done it plenty of times. Tom Brady has done it. Russell Wilson has done it. It's part of being a professional athlete, and part of being a leader of a team.
    When you give one-word answers and sulk like a high school kid who just lost the big game, you'll deservedly get lit up. He's 26 years old and he's been in the NFL for five years, with plenty of ups and downs in his career. He's not a kid, so he needs to stop acting like one.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Acknowledging that his press conference deserves a good scold-hammering, I would say that's the first thing Newton has done the whole year that deserves one.

old_tony and SnarkShark like this.
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't know. Just think it's tough as hell to lose a SB. I don't have an issue with it. Better than saying something he would regret

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's my point, though. He could've gone up there, given the Broncos credit for playing a great game, given a few non-answers that sound deep and philosophical, thanked everyone for a great season and said we'll get 'em next year. In other words, you control your emotions for 10 or 15 minutes and get the job done. You show some class, and you win a few people over.
    Instead, he DID do something he'll regret. He lost control of the situation. Deion Sanders, of all people, lit him up for it and made a good point that as the MVP he's now the face of the NFL. He just cannot act like that when he's ascended to that position.
    This might be the opening scene of the "America's Game" episode on the 2016 Carolina Panthers, but it's definitely something that's going to haunt him until he wins a Super Bowl.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just because it gives me a chuckle every time the Broncos win something:

Draft saved Draft deleted