1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 American Idol Final Season thread - is anyone gonna watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

And stage mamas stepping in to be like, "MY child needs the spotlight! It's not in her range!"

I liked Melanie as well. (She's the one who had cancer and it's in remission, right?)

Is it just me or did they send a LOT of people though that they're going to have to pare down to 24? Unless they eliminated entire groups that they didn't show, there's no way that they cut half the list during group week.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The girl with caner in remission got cut, too. That was this girl.

The other Melanie referred to is this one (at the 2-minute mark).

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I wrote this on my blog, but I think it would be a terrific gesture by Idol to have Melany - the girl recovering from cancer - to come back on and compete as a 13th girl. Add another guy too.
    If we're making crazy predictions, the Michelle Marie girl - the awkward looking teen who sings country - will perform in the finale with the Scott MacIntyre, who she cried about in some video when she was younger. They showed it in the season premiere. Just rooting for him to come back so Seacrest can try to hi-five him.

4. Rhody31

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If group night is the worst show of the season, the final judgment is a damn close second. They creat this drama with, ' You know, this was a tough year for us ....' blah, blah, blah. Overall, they got most of them right, save for the country singer with no electricity. Still not sure what the deal is there.

Front-runner for me: Lee Jean for the boys and Emily Brooke for the girls. That being said, I've never been good with AI predictions.

6. Rhody31

I'm working on my rankings/predictions right now, but I agree 100 percent on Emily.
    Lee - don't think he has a shot. They're doing the next round weird. They've already recorded the episodes (they might be filming next week's this week tho) and the judges/producers are going to pick 8 contestants and have four others for a singoff for the final 2 spots. There's really no notice how the breakup of the 8 are gonna be, but I doubt it's 4-4. I could see the judges/producers throwing Lee into the Top 8 and let one of the guys who should be there sing for the spot. I hope they don't, but I could definitely see him going and America turning on him like they did with Daniel Seavey last year.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I never felt like Daniel Seavey was comfortable on stage, while Lee Jean does. Another potential boy winner is Mackenzie Bourg, who appears to have the same artistry of Alex Preston, but is far more handsome.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I covered Mackenzie Bourg in high school. He was a scrappy guard who had a knack for knocking down a big 3-pointer in big games, believe it or not. He probably averaged only 6.8 points per game, but he'd hit a 3-pointer when they needed it.

I'm kind of watching from afar, just to see how he's doing week in and week out. Maybe as it gets down to 12 or so and he's still in it, I may watch (or DVR) it weekly.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Daniel was eliminated, even though people liked him, because he started to sound the same every week.

10. Rhody31

People definitely did not like him. He was force fed by producers. He was probably the No. 2 most-griped about Idol last year.
    The semifinal round is sketchy AF. They've picked 12 to perform Wednesday. Thursday, they'll say which four they're keeping. Next week Wednesday, the last 12 perform and Thursday they'll say which four they'll keep and name the six wild card performers who will sing for the final two spots.
    I'm in the process of breaking down the shows, but you can see they're matching similar contestants with one another and letting them fight for a spot. I guarantee at least one of the judges' Top 8 picks will be someone absolutely ridiculous and they'll force America to vote in two of the favorites.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The one I don't get the love for is Jordan Sasser (the guy whose wife and kid were in the audition and he made it and she didn't). He's very bland to me.

12. Flash

Flash Active Member

Dalton is my early favourite (dammit ... favorite) but last week, he struck me as emotionally fragile.

Draft saved Draft deleted