1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl 50

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bin-freaking-go
    Yes, it sucks that some NFL players are having issues post career.
    If you asked 100 NFL players would they do it all over again, 100 would say yes.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's an odd statement considering many have been asked that very question and said no. Randle El was the most recent, only a few weeks ago.

SnarkShark, cranberry and YankeeFan like this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"All players" is probably too strong a statement, but I'm guessing nearly all the star players — especially the guys from the 90s forward who made the big money — would do it all again.

Many of them would have never gone to college without football, which means that chances are, they'd have been doing backbreaking work to earn a living.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those star players account for less than 10 percent of the league.

I'd be interested in something that surveyed a good amount of the other 90 percent. I'd bet a lot of them -- especially the 2-4 year guys -- have plenty of regret. Those guys didn't make any money and have a lot of physical and mental damage to endure.

Guessing the Giants dude who ODed at age 27 would fit into the "regret" category. And it's hard to see how Jovan Belcher wouldn't have been struggling with this kind of thing.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I bet nearly all would go back and do it again.

Playing in the NFL, even for two years, opens so many doors for the future after the games leaves you behind. Including the ability to lose all of your NFL money on some stupid casual restaurant idea where you played.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Sash had issues and scrapes with the law for many years.

To be a big-time Division I football player, much less an NFL player, you have to be either massive or hyper-aggressive. I don't think the issues are about CTE as much as the ability of a young man to "shut it off" when he is not practicing or playing football.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

31-24 Panthers. Really don't see Denver's defense holding them much below that. The sheriff loses the shootout.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The only way it's that close is if Denver scores a TD with less than a minute left.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've been saying Carolina by 10 for two weeks. Today I just got it stuck in my head that a mistake or two might keep it closer.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

image.jpeg levi stadium concessions

Draft saved Draft deleted