1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purdue/preps writer -- Lafayette Journal & Courier

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Feb 7, 2016.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Lafayette Journal & Courier, an award-winning news organization in northwest Indiana, and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks a dynamic reporter to cover local high school sports and Purdue University sports by producing high-value digital content.

Points of focus include:

• Providing content focused breaking news, insightful columns, engaging features, game coverage and enterprise stories that provide context and analysis that is targeted to appeal to fans of high school sports across the spectrum, including players and their GenX parents.
    • Acting as a backup to our primary Purdue writer. Must be able to balance coverage type and tone between Big Ten athletics and sports of local interest, primarily preps.
    • Collaborating with editors and producers as well as news partners across the USA TODAY NETWORK.
    • Developing content that takes advantage of all platforms available, especially video, Twitter, Facebook and mobile vectors where younger audiences prefer to consume content.
    • Building and continually developing a personal brand and leveraging that brand to help grow digital readership and subscriptions.

Required Skills:

• College degree
    • 1 + years of applicable experience
    • Ability to tell the story through media
    • Social Media Savvy

You must provide Clips of your work in order to be in consideration for this position.

You may be the right candidate for this job if you have a passion for telling stories, a hunger for facts and an eagerness to hone your craft.

You should be a self-starter comfortable working in multiple types of media: reporting and writing stories; shooting photos and videos with an iPhone; tethering your gear to work remotely; and immersed in the networks of social media to help spread the word about your work. You should be nimble and able to tailor your approach to stories to satisfy audiences viewing your work in print or on a desktop browser, mobile device or tablet.

We want you to build a meaningful portfolio of memorable stories that take time and effort to develop. But we also want you to cover the news, efficiently and concisely, and break important stories before anyone else on mobile and our other digital platforms.

Career Opportunities: Purdue and High School Sports Reporter- Lafayette (80802)

2. ped0003

ped0003 New Member

Is there any way to submit links as work samples/video samples in application for this position? Gannett site only allows for physical documents to be attached for work samples.

3. Alex Wallner

Alex Wallner New Member

I tried to apply for this position and I went back to check something on my computer, went back to the link again and it wouldn't let me gain access to the site. What should I do?

4. Alex Wallner

Alex Wallner New Member

Nevermind, I figured it out.

5. T_Lauderdale

T_Lauderdale New Member

I saw this posted recently on AWSM's Twitter but didn't see it on Gannett's site. Any update on this?

6. ackou757

ackou757 New Member

I believe they made their selection in late February.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Really? It looks like they just lost a guy and had the basketball writer add football to his plate.

8. renboss

renboss New Member

I went through a brief interview process for this with what seemed like a third-party company ... no follow-up and haven't received a response to any of my e-mails. Wish I could say I'm surprised.

9. T_Lauderdale

T_Lauderdale New Member

Is that Journal&Courier thing or a Gannett thing?

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I know Gannett switched to a drawn out online application process. Wouldn't be surprised to head they added that also.

Draft saved Draft deleted